A Lazy Man Is Searching for Light

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lazy
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Yonder left, by the sea,well south of the orange bridge

A Lazy Man Is Searching for Light

Post by Lazy »

Hi,

Thanks to you all for sharing your experiences with this hobby. Clearly a lot of experience and knowledge here. I'm in awe of the creative design, plumbing, and cooking skills some of you all have, not to mention common sense.

I'm a noob in reading and garage distillery building mode. My interest is in making some vodka, gin, and whisky to share.

Having no particular building skills, I have a BrewHaus EEPSII 8 gallon on order. Prolly won't get it until end of May. I've read the thread on how to mod it to make it even better.... thank you for that.
Later on I may try making a Boko mini. I like the idea of one less condenser and it seems so simple to setup and run compared to the EEPSII.

In shopping, I found Amazon is selling the Uno Vaiable Speed Fan Controller 110v/15 amp for $9.
<edit: removed external link>
Seems like a good deal for triac heater controller.

I'll update as my distillery build progresses...and if I need help overcoming any mistakes I'm sure to make.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: A Lazy Man Is Searching for Light

Post by Still Life »

You don't sound lazy.
You already know research and diligence here at HD is rewarded and keeps the vultures away, so no need to go into that.

So, Welcome!
Lazy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Lazy »

Hi Still Life.

Well, my DW calls me Lazy....as in "You're so lazy, you never blah blah blah...", when actually I'm just pursuing what interest me.

Being still is lazy too isn't it? Maybe we have a lot in common.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Welcome Lazy,
I see that you are already a site donor :thumbup: :thumbup:

I hope that you will enjoy your new hobby, I don't know anything about the still you ordered or how it's heated but a 110 volt 15 amp controller seems a little wimpy to me. Since this is the welcome center any questions should really be posted in the appropriate section ( like related electrical accessories - for that one )

OVZ
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Welcome Lazy,
I see that you are already a site donor :thumbup: :thumbup:
I missed that during my comment. Good for you, lazy! Extra-Welcome
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Welcome Lazy.

People always underestimate the power of laziness... if it weren't for that we'd never have invented the wheel!
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, when I am running my still it is one of the few times my outbuilding tools and stuff get organized and put away. The still keeps me in the building all day so I think the only time I am lazy during this hobby is when I am sitting down and enjoying a drink. My wife never calls me lazy as she asks me to pour her one while I am at it. :moresarcasm:
Lazy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Lazy »

built a mini boka while waiting for the store bought still to arrive. you can learn a lot by trying to do stuff

12 quart pot. 2" ss flange on the lid, flange gasget made from sure-seal teflon sheet, pipe tape and binder clips to seal the lid, 2' x 2" column so it will fit on the kitchen stove. 100% copper scrubbies, csst main condenser. 6" libieg to cool the product a bit, and a hot wired (nob bypassed) 1000watt hot plate

i need practice with soldering..and i bought a ton of stuff that didn't work out right the first time...but had a great time figering it out. wife came and peaked a few times, but mostly left me alone, so i have that going for me.

did the cleaning runs.... now running 4 liters of cheap box wine to get a feel for things

took a total of 12 jars..recorded times and temps.

very interesting how the column temp stabilizd..stay around 177-178 for a whilw, then crept up, then shotup.

now it's time to taste, touch and smell the cuts to get a feel for that. :thumbup:

no abv measurement tools in house yet...on order...so ill dilute before drinking just to be safe.

got a sugar wash and corn flake sugarhead wash fermenting....
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I'm not sure what your thinking, if you can build that your at the point that you can build a proper still.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Well done. 12 qts is bigger than the mini Bokakob I ran today.

I can't see for sure that you are not running your likker through plastic, but if you are, that won't work too well.

Pick a likker that your woman likes and do a good job of making some before you set about making your own preference :D
RippoZero
Novice

Post by RippoZero »

Nice still. much nicer than my first. where did you get the thermal insulation? thinking i might add that to my latest build.