New member!! PNW

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stephen_Udycz
Novice

New member!! PNW

Post by Stephen_Udycz »

I'm living out in the pacific Northwest. I got interested in this subject as I've got the celiac...which is awful because of my love for beer.

Luckily, we've got all these great apple trees out here, and I've gotten into Hard Cider. But since I had so much of it (40+ gallons a season), I've gotten into making Calvados and Suma from my fig tree. Got myself an airstill, and since then, have been making a pretty good kentucky whiskey from purchased cornmeal. Also got into making a single malt from peated malted barley. Now, I'm getting into building a pot still from my neighbor's scrap copper.

Just looking for some pointers and help on this process, and hoping to help share what I've been able to glean over the past year.

Thanks!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: New member!! PNW

Post by cranky »

Welcome to HD from a PNW member :wave: There is a ton of information here. Hope you stick around and have fun.
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

I loved beer until I developed a gluten allergy. Did the hard cider thing and quickly burned out on it. I moved to whiskey and learned what I could then realized that distilling was the next logical step. My advice? Make sure you build your still large enough.
Some men you jest cain't reach...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Welcome, Stephen, you are blessed to have a fig tree, there are very few things I enjoy more than a fresh fig.

A neighbor with scrap copper is just an embarrassment of riches, looking forward to what you might assemble.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Welcome from another PNW member. There are quite a few of us, geographically, all around you.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Welcome!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Tomc
Novice

Post by Tomc »

Stephan. I just wanted to chime in to wish you welcome too. Just make sure your neighbor gets bigger scrap. It seems we all start with basic equipment and watch it grow.
Cheers,