New to Distilling and new member

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Redtro
Novice

New to Distilling and new member

Post by Redtro »

Hi all from Tallahassee, Florida.

My granddaddy was a moonshiner and ran booze in the early years (1920's and 30's). I never learned the art but have always been interested. A few months ago, I was watching a Youtube video of SV Delios (a sailing vessel where they were using a T500 to make their own spirits. It looked easy enough so I purchased one and have just finished my first batch. I had a lot of questions and found this forum. I wish I had found it earlier. But, as technical as this all seems to a newbie...maybe this was the best route to cut my teeth on.

I'm still waiting on my flavorings and have about 2 gallons of neutral waiting. It's all smeared, but I did stop the run a little early but only disposed of the first 50 ml. So I filtered it 4 times through the charcoal filter. Not sure about taste. It seems ok, but I'm sure it's not the best. I thought I would try the tomato paste/lemon and baker's yeast recipe next, and do proper cuts. It should be better.

The only problem I had with my first attempt was when used the recommending temps, the product was only dripping a drop every 2 min. I gradually increased the temp until it seemed to run at a productive but slow rate. It took about 10.5 hours to make about 3.5 liters. The temps were about 68 to 70c. I don't believe these temps were a correct reading. The end product was 95%. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

I purchased a hydrometer that gives % of alcohol and proofs, but don't understand what a mash hydrometer is or what the target 1.09 and .990 numbers are in a wash. I don't know what hydrometer to purchase for that. Again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks again!
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: New to Distilling and new member

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Read this thread, it will answer most of your questions. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Redtro
Novice

Post by Redtro »

I know I haven't read everything and this site is a wealth of info. I am reading and will continue to study. I also know the mash hydrometer question really demonstrated how little I know. But, I don't see any information about my temp readings. I do see that some others are using this still. I did see where someone else had a faulty gauge. I know you experence people get tired of answering the same questions over and over. Sorry.
Nokum Stiff
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nokum Stiff »

Welcome to the HD forums!

From personal experience, I'd recommend trying Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash recipe. I've used it on more than one occasion and it's the easiest to follow for newstillers like us to follow. It also produces a rather tasty product!
Also, while on your off time, check out the links in my signature. Veterans here have painstakingly assembled the best of the best information for newstillers to understand and follow. Read and read again, at least 90% of the questions you might have can be answered by those threads.

Here's a freebie...lol! http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 36&t=10759

Enjoy and be safe!

---Stiff
**Voluntary reading..MANDATORY, Voluntary reading!**
Cranky's Spoon Feeding For NewStillers!
Cleaning Your Still
Glossary of HD Terms
Safety and Related Issues

quando omni flunkus moritati
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hello Redtro.
Hang in there and keep reading. You'll be fine.
Welcome!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Still Life wrote:Hello Redtro.
Hang in there and keep reading. You'll be fine.
Welcome!
+1 Welcome aboard . Get your homework done and you will be fine .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Redtro
Novice

Post by Redtro »

Thanks Nokum. That link to temps was informative. As I stated, a T500 is what I used. The temps are measured where the cooling water exits the still. The manufactor suggested to run between 55 and 65c. I had to run hotter to get it to run. Looking at DND's post about temp ranges and what I did, do you think what I have is safe to drink?
Redtro
Novice

Post by Redtro »

Thinking about this temp thing....on this particular still, the temp of the water before delivery to the still MUST affect the final water temp when it is measured at the end. If the water supply is colder in some places and warmer in other places, then a constant number shouldn't be possible as suggested by the manufacturer. Sound reasonable?