New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Quincy1969
Novice

Post by Quincy1969 »

Hi

I'm new to distilling and I just got a Turbo 500 My first batch of sugar wash is in the fermenter. Any tips or recipes for a nice clean neutral spirit would be appreciated

Thanks
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: New member

Post by cranky »

Hi Quincy1969, welcome to HD. I've never looked at one up close but I understand there are some issues with the T500 that should be addressed before you start running. If you use the google search at the top of the page, click on it leave the stuff that comes up in the search block type a space behind it then your search and you should find lots of info on that. Unfortunately there is also a lot of stuff you need to know before you know you need to know it but the first 2 links in my signature will help guide you through the sharp learning curve you are going to be going through. It can seem very daunting at first but it really isn't. good luck and glad you are here :D
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

What Cranky said.

Welcome!
mulligan
Bootlegger

Post by mulligan »

IF you are using the turbo yeast etc that likely came with it then with the best will in the world, read as much as you can about double distilling (strip run, then spirit run (2nd distillation) into small jars while making cuts) etc etc. Your still is better than many here will give it credit for and your first produce will be perfectly safe to drink, but the chemicals and instructions that come with the still are not as good as they could be.

You could decide to sacrifice your first booze to clean your still through after you've tried it, or you may be happy with it. Happy experimenting.
Barndog
Novice

Post by Barndog »

Welcome! Most members here advise us to read all of the New to Distillation section and everything for that matter. And start with some Tried and True recipes. You really cannot go wrong following this path.

Enjoy and be safe!

Barndog
Sometimes a man's survival depends on a mere scrap of information...
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome Quincy. +1 to all above. Do lots of reading, follow threads, and be patient. After reading here for almost two years, I find myself re- reading a lot in a new light after a lot of experimenting and learning. Use that google search a lot.

I can't wait to read about your exploits.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels