My Intro

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

My Intro

Post by Codgerness »

Hello all. New to the site. A little about myself. Grew up in rural northwest US where my father, his father, other relatives, ect, made their own alcohol during the Volstead Act era as a matter of survival during extreme economic times, and they continued to do so through the 1960s to satisfy their "acquired taste". So I guess I come by this hobby honestly. I constructed a 27 gallon still in 1981 from a stainless Navy juice dispenser, (boiler), The stainless hat from an inverted commercial coffee dispenser, the worm is 50' of 5/8ths copper tubing inside of a stainless beer keg for the condenser, and a parrot to monitor proof during a run. I have made mostly sugar washes for rum with great success, and a try at Tequila using "Agave Nectar" bought by the case at Walmart with limited success. I do some "polishing" with aquarium charcoal from Petco, in a 2" stainless column, when need be. I get lots of compliments from friends and relatives and some prefer mine to store bought so I must be doing something right. I believe there is always room for improvement. This site, (homedistillers.org), has been a wealth of knowledge long before I joined as well as others on the internet. I want to make vodka on my next run and would really like some input on what and what not to do. Yeasts to use, vendors, ingredients, pitching temps, filtering, multiple runs, ect. This site, (homedistillers.org), has been a wealth of knowledge long before I joined as well as others on the internet. Thanks to all.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My Intro

Post by Swedish Pride »

welcome in fella.
Sounds like you only run a pot still, vodka will require a bit more work on a pot than it does on a column still but it can be done.
you just need to make an as neutral as you can wash/mash and strip and spirit run until you deem it vodka-ish.
If you're inclined to do an AG vodka I'd try an all white rice ferment, i find you can make a very nice vodka in just a few runs in a potstil.

best of luck with it
Don't be a dick
Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Codgerness »

It is a full on pot still, I have a huge water exchange for the condenser so as the water exits the condenser, I wrap 50' of the garden hose around the pot still head to keep it cool for some "reflux action". the first part of my runs usually start at about 150 and as high as 160abv. I am a TIG welder by trade and have been going to add a 4" flange to the top of the "Hat", to be able to take the lynn arm off and add a 4"coloumn of rasching rings or reflux system. The addition of the food grade flange with clamps and Teflon gasket would make the pot still convertible to a column, reflux, or a combination thereof, or a carter head, all off the top of the pot still hat. I did read somewhere that rice is a good grain for alcohol production per weight. I'm lazy and have not made this conversion yet so I will more than likely make the run as a pot still and end up doing more than 1 run as you suggest. I do appreciate your input and would like it if you knew of a tried and true rice recipe if you Know of one. Thank you for your response.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Welcome in..

Like me, I read you can handle a TIG welder..that's just perfect in our hobby. :thumbup:
I've made a lot of Vodka in a pot still and it works out great.
Search for TPW or birdwatchers (HD Google search).It's easy, repeatable and reliable.
If you run it three times in a pot, you'll get a fine smooth Vodka out of it. One stripping run and two spirit run, foreshots are taken on every run.

Have fun and stay safe..
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

not sure if rice has more yield in it than other grains, like you I'm lazy and you'll have to try to find that info yourself :P
URRV is in tried and true, he ads sugar, I opted for none, only grain and enzymes to convert em, I say some sugar would not hurt.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=47996
Don't be a dick
Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Codgerness »

My thanks to both of you! I read all the posts regarding the rice run through the viewtopic. This is exactly what I was looking for. Forgive me but I'm not the most computer literate but Danespirit lost me on "TPW or birdwatchers"??. I would like to know what this means as I'm sure it too is valuable info. Again, thanks very much for the help and direction. Armed with my new found knowledge, now I need to find the time to dedicate to doing this run from start to finished product, as I have to travel in my line of work.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Also check out Googe's simple kale recipe for a really clean fresh neutral :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Codgerness »

Swill Maker, thanks for your response and I certainly will! I appreciate you taking the time to help with my requests.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Codgerness wrote:Forgive me but I'm not the most computer literate but Danespirit lost me on "TPW or birdwatchers"
They are "tried and true recipes" from here.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Codgerness »

Thanks! I briefly looked it over. there is a lot there. I'll definitely be back there to check some things out in detail. Quite a "Library" to have!