New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

clinpic
Novice

Post by clinpic »

Always interested in the topic of distilling and figured that it was time to learn from others.
Bushman
Admin

Re: New member

Post by Bushman »

Noticed that know one has welcomed you to the forum yet, so let me be the first.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

welcome clinpic. what are you thinking of making ?
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

welcome :wave:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
clinpic
Novice

Post by clinpic »

Thanks for the welcome. I started out with a small 3 gallon still from China. My first attempt was some wine that my wife didn't want any more. With some wood chips and charcoal filtration it turned out ok. I also tried a small batch of sweet feed which turned out better, same story on wood chips and charcoal filtration. Both batches were double distilled.

Since then I have built my own valved reflux still on a 15 ½ gallon keg. I Did a 10 gallon batch of the sweet feed, only distilling it once but did the wood chip thing for a week. It turned out pretty good but when I tried filtering part of it, the charcoal removed too much and it lost its zip, too smooth and mellow. So the last half won't get any filtration. On the reflux I've only run it as a pot still, I am looking forward to using the reflux on a sugar wash for some Vodka.

Since then I have been doing my best to read all of the beginners stuff on this site. Has anybody told you that it's a wee bit overwhelming. I am ignorant enough to not even know the right questions to ask, but I'm having fun learning. The not so bad news is that I've a lot to learn, the better news is that everything I've made to date tastes good...even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut, I guess.

I really would like to try a Scotch and a Tequila/Mescal in the near future.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

The reading is overwhelming. Not a crash course by any means.
But you research especially the info that pertains to your world, make the best product you can, and branch out from there.

I read stuff here everyday that frankly I don't even know what they're talking about. Time.
But meanwhile I'm making some kick-ass stuff. You can, too.

Welcome.