Hello from Saskatchewan, Canada

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

mkl874
Novice

Hello from Saskatchewan, Canada

Post by mkl874 »

Hello folks,
I'm writing from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. A friend and I are brand new to distilling and just bought a T500 still. Being some uneducated rookies, I thought coming here would be a good start. Right now we're just looking at making some clean, clear alcohol we can use as a base for different drinks, and maybe eventually moving to some dark rum and whisky. One step at a time though! Right now our first batch is fermenting, made from turbo yeast, but my first few readings tell me that there are better ingredients to get a clean wash. I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge and experience and I look forward to learning from you.

Matt
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Hello from Saskatchewan, Canada

Post by HDNB »

welcome in!

your on the right track. definitely better ferments than a turbo but you still need booze for the mandatory cleaning runs anyway so it's not a bad thing. (you read about how to clean the still for use right? i'm mean here, not in the t-500 instructions)

if you use the HD google search in the top bar ^^^ you can leave a space and add T500 (or t-500) to get results on your still. I understand there is some rubber o-rings that will impart a delicious burnt rubber flavour to your spirits and eventually leak...there are also threads on what to and how to modify the still to fix the issue.

good luck, stay safe!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
mkl874
Novice

Post by mkl874 »

Already learning! Thanks for the info, I will definitely check it out. We haven't run the still yet, so this is very timely.
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Hello Flatlander, I've spent a bit of time in your area and it's one of the most beautiful provinces. In the future you definitely should take advantage of the local grain crops. One of my favorite Vodkas comes from Lumsden, and one of my favorite beers comes from Saskatoon. The province is made for grain based liquor.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Yo, mkl.
Like your attitude and willingness to learn. You'll be an asset to the forum.
Welcome!