New to distilling in Mississauga Ontario Canada

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chucksta
Novice

New to distilling in Mississauga Ontario Canada

Post by Chucksta »

So many things in my life have begun with me saying " How hard can it be?". I'd been thinking about brewing my own wine / beer for quite some time, but it just seemed like too much time, and too much trouble, too much room, etc., for too little product. I don't know what made me do it, but i searched "distilling" on YouTube.. A couple of things became apparent. First, it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Second, just because you posted a video on YouTube, that doesn't mean you know what you're doing. I could tell from the comments below the video that I'd need a better resource before starting out.

There's a forum for just about any hobby... Google got me here, now it's time to do some reading... And then do some more reading.
First search is going to be equipment reviews... and then, well, get started with a trusted recipe. I'm probably start with a simple sugar yeast wash, and then work on more involved distilling.

This should be fun...
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New to distilling in Mississauga Ontario Canada

Post by Klein »

Welcome fellow Canadian, if I could go back to when I started I would have built a keg still.

I started with with the t500. I now only use the t500 boiler to mix and heat up my maple vodka, and use the drain to fill 20 mason jars at a time.

A ccvm on a keg is a great option. There are many options available to choose from.
Stay safe and have fun.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Chucksta you hit the nail on the head.
And this is easy if you follow the guidelines and don't try reinventing the wheel.
It's all laid out here for us to make this a fun & successful hobby.

Keep a-reading, and welcome!
Chucksta
Novice

Post by Chucksta »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I spent some time splashing around on the internet last night.. Looks like I'm going to build one from scratch. It's well within my skill set, and I can build better than I could buy for the same money. Nothing better than a good McGuyver..

Ohhh!! So THAT's what a "Thumper pot" does... What's the point of owning a tig welder if you don't use it?

Time to do some more reading on plans and parts...
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

Klein, did you say 'maple vodka' like I believe you just did? Always been curious about using slightly reduced maple sap to see if anything good could come from it
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

I mix maple syrup with some nutritional and I mix it to 20% abv
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Welcome :wave: Looks like you got it going in the right direction .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .