Just pulled up and parked

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

maddog37jad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Just pulled up and parked

Post by maddog37jad »

Been trolling different sites for 4 years, distilling for 3. Built 3 pot stills with stainless pots, mixing bowl tops, worms, got tired of sealing issues, current 2 year old still is 13 gallon milk can boiler. Built 2' tower with 2" copper reduced to 1/2 " made liebig condenser w/ 3'X 1/2" copper sleeved in 2'X 3/4" copper. Column packed with copper mesh. I buy large roll 6" wide, roll tightly to fit inside and packed with ramrod. I change after 4 runs. I am basically using Uncle Jesse's posted recipe. I think I carry my distillation a little further. 50 gallon mash barrel, 50 pounds Grainland select cracked corn. 15gallons backset, cold water to top. Half pound DADY yeast at 86-88 degrees. I do 4 distillations leaving enough wash to keep corn covered. Starting potential alc about 15%, run at 2-3%. I discard foreshots on each run (til I can taste that sweet corn) collect down to 20%. I know purists will scream, but I don't make cuts. I collect in single container. Each run consists of all I collected topped off with wash. First run starts about 140 proof and nets about 3 1/2 gallons 100 proof. Second run starts 155 proof I run to 40 proof or 20%, Third and fourth run start at 175 proof (apparently the best my setup will do) and I cut off the final run at 60 proof. I wind up with 6 gallons of 140 proof. I pull 4 quarts tempered to 100 proof to make room for my toasted oak. I read all about 2-3 chips for months, I do it a little different. I have a countertop roaster oven that I set at 400 degrees. I buy 5 pound bags of Jack Daniels smoking chips At the grocery store in the charcoal section. Made from chipped up used JD barrels. I toast for 4 hours, I put in a Sherwin Williams 5 gallon paint strainer(nylon and non reactive to alcohol). After 4-5 days start checking so you get the color and smoothness but stop before it overpowers. I use 5 pounds in the six gallon container I head spaced earlier at 140 proof. Temper samples to 100 proof for true test. I am 67 years old, retired and disabled former gunship pilot in Texas, have a lot of serious whiskey drinking friends my age and older who say to the man you can't find a better, smoother sipping whiskey. This hobby ties in nicely with my greenhouse(vegetables) chickens, garden and soon to be catfish pond. I feel by combining the runs in entirety in multiple runs helps to keep from stripping it to a neutral spirit. Everyone agrees this is not to be mixed and drank. Sipping at it's finest. And I have it locked down to consistent results. Fk the VA and their mind altering drugs. This and the woods is the best PTSD therapy for me. I apologize for being so long winded. Ban me if you feel you need to.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Just pulled up and parked

Post by shadylane »

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
One vet to another, there's plenty of us long winded distillers here :lol:
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Ban you?
Nah, we ask for a background on our new members and you provided a good one.
Continued success to you, partner, and welcome to the forum!

By the way ---thanks for your service, gunship pilot.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

What Still Life said . Welcome aboard :wave:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Welcome! Sounds like you have her down pat. Thank you for your service!
NeillNI
Novice

Post by NeillNI »

Welcome bro.. not long pulled up myself, and the folk seem good. Straight with no fluffy shit. The whole 'Hurry up and wait' part of this hobby is perfect :D

i wish I had the woods though.. I think this Island is the 2nd most deforested in the world ffs
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

First...Welcome! You dropped in on a great bunch of folks. Second...thank you for your service... it how this forum is possible. I will be heading overseas myself come August. Lucky for me (my AOC really...) it's only a few months!

Sounds like you have a nice clean process going there... thanks for letting us in on it and best of luck!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
FiresideFriends
Novice

Post by FiresideFriends »

Welcome and thank you for your service!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Mad dog! Get your damned truck off my lawn! You know better than that crap! Probably a damned Ford anyway. You ready to take this cooler of ice and a bottle each into these Flatwoods? Recon you can follow? I would think so but you gotta stay out of the ruts made by others. Follow the lead of those who have already made the ruts, discovered the soft spots and found the firmer ground for future trips. These Woods are full of many trails but only you can choose which ones to follow as no one else will drive your truck. Well, except for Jorge if you leave it unsecured and venerable! If you like you drink, make up plenty to have so you can try something else and not run out of the good stuff. Now again, get your ass of my lawn!
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

ga flatwoods wrote:Mad dog! Get your damned truck off my lawn! You know better than that crap! Probably a damned Ford anyway. You ready to take this cooler of ice and a bottle each into these Flatwoods? Recon you can follow? I would think so but you gotta stay out of the ruts made by others. Follow the lead of those who have already made the ruts, discovered the soft spots and found the firmer ground for future trips. These Woods are full of many trails but only you can choose which ones to follow as no one else will drive your truck. Well, except for Jorge if you leave it unsecured and venerable! If you like you drink, make up plenty to have so you can try something else and not run out of the good stuff. Now again, get your ass of my lawn!
GA Flatwoods
Feelin rowdy tonight , ain't he .
And you quit dissin Fords , Flatwoods . On a quiet night you can listen to a Chevy rust .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Lazy
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: Yonder left, by the sea,well south of the orange bridge

Post by Lazy »

Sounds like you're doing it right. Mind the meter maid. She's not a drinker and got no sense of humor.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Welcome aboard... I read your intro and got all outraged, then I read it again.... seems to me that after 4 runs, 4 lots of foreshots and a tails cut at 60%, you're pretty much making the same cuts that you'd make if you were doing it the regular way. Glad it works out for you though :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!