Hi from Scotland

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Arto
Novice

Hi from Scotland

Post by Arto »

Hi, I'm a newbie to distilling. Started out making beer, then wine and decided to try some distilling at home. Got some good results for whisky using malt extracts and smoked malted barley wash. Had a try at gin too which actually turned out ok. Really want to get a good clean tasting spirit for my wife so have bought a decent still and wondered if there are any tips for a good wash? Cheers Arto ps have been reading the forum and the homedistiller website
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi from Scotland

Post by Still Life »

Absolutely there are some good recipes here.
Go to the main page and check out Tried & True Recipes.
Practically anything you may like will be there.

It's important when beginning to make your way through proven recipes.
Little chance of failure, and easy to troubleshoot.

Welcome to HD. Be safe, and have fun!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome and I will second Still Life's comments. After following the Tried & True Recipes for a while then you can make slight changes t hat might better fit you and your wife's tastes.
PS: Got a chance 2 years ago to tour most of Scotland. Enjoyed the visit as you have a lot of nice distilleries and your countries history is very interesting.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Arto wrote:Hi, I'm a newbie to distilling. Started out making beer, then wine and decided to try some distilling at home. Got some good results for whisky using malt extracts and smoked malted barley wash. Had a try at gin too which actually turned out ok. Really want to get a good clean tasting spirit for my wife so have bought a decent still and wondered if there are any tips for a good wash? Cheers Arto ps have been reading the forum and the homedistiller website
Welcome Arto. Agreed, you should check out the tried and true recipe section as there are some great recipes in there, that for me have gone like clockwork. (If you like Bourbon, I also recommend the Honey Bear Bourbon recipe on this site.)
Scotland is a great place; beautiful and full of nice people. I went there many years ago as a beer only guy, and after 6 months I left as a big Scotch and Whisky fan. Thanks Scotland! :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels