Hello Out There

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pelirojo73
Novice

Hello Out There

Post by Pelirojo73 »

New user from the Diamond state. I have been home brewing for a while and getting started with distilling.
Had a recent run-in with a surgeon that didn't practice enough before me; so after near death I am doing what I want in life the hell with everything else.
I have a 1bbl brew house I built in a shed, got my brewer's notice from TTB so I can buy wholesale and also got my AFP; so I just bought a still.
I had been wanting to build one, but as an electrical engineer I am much better at wiring and controls than welding and soldering.
So I went and bought a Mile Hi 4" SS flute with the kettle. Still waiting for delivery, just ordered a week ago.
Using the heater power and control panel I have for my HERMS set up to power the still.
Still will be manual control but I should be able to see temps to help me out.
Looking to do some NGS for the 39 Ford, rum, potato vodka, whiskey, and brandy just to make the exhaust smell better.
I just planted 10 apple, 10 pear and 10 peach trees this spring, so in 5 years I may have enough fruit to go from tree to glass oops I mean tank.
Raising meat goats and meat rabbits and vegetable gardening for the past 2 years as well.
Looking to be totally self sufficient by the time I retire.
As beer, liquor oops I mean tractor fuel and meat are the three things I spend the most money on (other than taxes) all I have to learn this trade.
Looking forward to being able to participate in discussions and not just lurking around lie I have been for the past year or so.
Thank you everyone here for all the useful information, without this site I don't think I would have taken the plunge.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello Out There

Post by Still Life »

Well you're on the right side of the dirt, so you got that going for you.
Lots of tractor fuel makers here with a keen eye on flavor & taste. Weird.

Good to have you here. Remember to do your required cleaning runs on that new still.
Don't want the tractor ingesting any construction oils or solder flux. Messes with your float valve.

Welcome!
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Greetings..
I hope that surgeon didn't do too much damage to you.
An experience like that puts a lot of thing in perspective.
Judging by the pictures and the videos on the tube Mile Hi puts up, their equipment is of high quality.
The flute should serve you well. How many sections does it have..? Copper or stainless..?
You may have come by Cranky's spoonfeed thread if not..please have a look at it (link in my signature).

Have fun and stay safe..
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Welcome. I have a genetic predisposition to be wary of doctors. Especially surgeons. Hope all is well.
Pelirojo73
Novice

Post by Pelirojo73 »

I am all good now, thanks of the concern.
Just opened my eyes to how short a time we get on this rock.
I bought the SS 6 section one.
Will see how it does.
Not sure why they haven't gone to bubble plates, just perforated and downcomers.
But that is something I can fab without too much trouble.
I'll report back when I receive it on quality.