Hey from the east coast of Virginia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

jdblack58
Novice

Hey from the east coast of Virginia

Post by jdblack58 »

Been doing a lot of reading due to my interest in making some fine spirits. Always interested in learning the theory behind the madness. I recently came across some spirits produced at 157 proof which I thought was a very good!!!! It just kinda crept up on you and left the next morning without any side effects. I thought how nice it would be to be able to produce the same quality myself. So here I am scouring the internet trying to learn all I can. Im just an old fart who never stops trying new things. Appreciate all the answers this forum has to offer and any suggestions that may come my way.
Later Daze!!!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hey from the east coast of Virginia

Post by Still Life »

Come on in, jdblack.
You're going to hear some detractors about that high proof alcohol.
While it grows balls on balls, it can damage your mouth, throat, etc.
Be wise.

As far as not fuggin you up next day, that's pretty much where homemade exceeds name brand stuff.
Don't know what you're after drink-wise, but we likely have a recipe for it.

Welcome!
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Welcome JD, from another old fart who enjoys learning new things. This is a great place to learn. The amount of information here is almost overwhelming. A great deal of effort is expended to keep the content here both safe and sound. Enjoy!
I am curious, what was the high proof "spirit" you mentioned?
Just Sayin'
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

welcome. Enjoy the forum!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
jdblack58
Novice

Column Designs

Post by jdblack58 »

Thanks for all the welcome! I have some friends in the deep woods of west VA who "still" have to make their own sun"shine", and they do a good job of it. I have a question, but Im not to sure where I should post it, so if I am doing this incorrect please let me know.
There is a design by the master distiller Samohon which is what I aim to pursue. The design called the magic flute incorporates the perforated plates and downcomers so forth and so on....so my question concerns sizing the column to the boiler. To optimize efficiency and percent of the product's proof produced how is the design developed. I not smart enough to understand all the equations a chemical engineer needs to know, but the basic premise would be nice. I see this type of design on a different range of boilers, so where is the laymens' version of the design intent?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Many knowledgable folks round here. Here is a link to help your understanding of how aplated column (flute) works http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=59216 .it is anquite long read but after readin it yoi should have a understanding of the theory. Im tje mean time a pot still on a keg is a darn good tool to cut your teeth on.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Welcome from another eastern va. Man
This is where you need to be to learn this fine craft, lots of answers and all you have to do is read a bit (quite a bit lol) and 90% of the time you'll find it on your own but if you show due diligence most here will help and guide you right.
What part you from? I'm north east of Gloucester a piece
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Hi from the opposite side of VA!