Bamaberry

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Bamaberry

Post by TDick »

From my name you might deduce that I live in the Southeast.
That being said, I know for certain I have some ancestors that "enjoyed the hobby".
However, I am what you call ''green as a gourd".
I've never had a taste of illegal moonshine* but I have made up for it with plenty of the "store bought stuff" and I do like Bourbon.

I don't want to get flamed but several years I saw the documentary on Popcorn Sutton and found it interesting. Then I got hooked on watching "Moonshiners".
(BE NICE)

Several of the guys I don't care for, but I do like the ones like Digger and Mark that seem to respect the craft.

That being said, I would be interested in a small copper outfit to find my way.

A point and a question here.

Many years ago I visited Jack Daniels after a weekend in Nashville. Had a fairly big head when we went in the fermenting room and I will NEVER forget that smell. I guess it was the "sour" mash.

Also last year I visited a distillery that was fermenting a batch of bourbon with wheat instead of rye. We pulled some 130 proof out of the reflux tower and gotta say it was smooth and DELICIOUS. Definitely piqued my interest in wheat blends.

But here's my question. At both Jack and the bourbon House, fermentation takes place in open vats. When then in all the craft videos I've looked at on Youtube, it seems essential to close the fermenting vessel airtight and put an airlock on it.

So can someone explain?

Thanks and looking forward to exploring the Craft.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bamaberry

Post by bitter »

Welcome,

Cranky's spoon feeding is in my signature.. its a good place to start..

B
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Bamaberry wrote:But here's my question. At both Jack and the bourbon House, fermentation takes place in open vats. When then in all the craft videos I've looked at on Youtube, it seems essential to close the fermenting vessel airtight and put an airlock on it.

So can someone explain?
Being capable of posting a video doesn't make you an expert. Treat Youtube as entertainment, not as a research tool.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

The same goes for a series like Moonshiners.
I like it and it is nice to view and certainly offers some information.
But I only got some useful information from it, because I know how to brew, ferment and distill. So I can judge more or less how valid the information is.

It is entertainment, not a course.
And it is only entertainment and funny if you have learned the course!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Welcome :wave: You are kinda exceeding the speed limit here . Get that spoon feeding read out real well and you will have a better idea of what to ask . You will not get bad answers here because this is a self policing network . We look after our own .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

There are lots of ways to run a mash. A couple of quick tips:
Your mash does not have to be in a lidded container. You could use a simple bucket and place a towel over it to keep out bugs and let it breathe. (It can foam up and wet the towel). If you do decide to use a container with a lid and it seals tight you can literally blow the lid off.
For a while I used clean, new 5 gallon buckets with lids and I drilled 1/8" holes in the centers to vent the carbon dioxide. (In winter I have used a 100qt ice chest and a 200watt aquarium heater to maintain temperature).
Note, small changes can affect your end results. I suggest whenever you find something that you like, be consistent and on your next run and do it exactly the same way.
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Also, as for not having the taste for "illegal moonshine"?
You just haven't had anything good yet.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Opened this thread thinking to find a recipe using Bama jelly. :crazy: Guess I'll have to start one....

To answer you..."But here's my question. At both Jack and the bourbon House, fermentation takes place in open vats. When then in all the craft videos I've looked at on Youtube, it seems essential to close the fermenting vessel airtight and put an airlock on it."

No it it isn't. Numerous recipes and posts herein deliberately invite infections of the mash. A dunder pit involves a phenomenally disgusting concoction in making rum and letting a mash get infected can add complex flavors to the ultimate distillate. Distillation removes the infection from a safety perspective enabling we humans to not die when drinking the liquor.

I can't speak from authority or experience but I think tight lids and airlocks to prevent infection are much more important in making wine or beer.