First run

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boots1970
Novice

First run

Post by Boots1970 »

Hi fella's,
New guy here. Question: Just finished my very first run using Uncle Jesse's, I was surprised at how much wash was left in my 16gal still...I probably loaded it with nearly 13 gals and when finished, if I did it right and I think I did, going by the smell of the cuts...I must have had 11 gals remaining. Is that normal? I just assumed it would be much less. I was, at first, worried about the heating element going dry. But that was never going to be an issue.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: First run

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Boots1970 wrote:Hi fella's,
New guy here. Question: Just finished my very first run using Uncle Jesse's, I was surprised at how much wash was left in my 16gal still...I probably loaded it with nearly 13 gals and when finished, if I did it right and I think I did, going by the smell of the cuts...I must have had 11 gals remaining. Is that normal? I just assumed it would be much less. I was, at first, worried about the heating element going dry. But that was never going to be an issue.
How much did you collect? You aren't going to lose any to evaporation unless you have leak which allows steam to realease. In which case your still or vapor path aren't working properly.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Boots1970
Novice

Post by Boots1970 »

Thank you sir... I collected about 3 pts of heads... 2 qts. hearts...3 pts of tails...appx. Again, I'm new to this and winging it with some help from another gent who has been with you for awhile. But if that residual fluid sounds right, I feel better..
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Depends on the ABV of the wash going on really. How much sugar was in the 13 gallons? 2 gallons of collection sounds ok to me.

Edit - Also.. Welcome aboard :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!