Hello from Belgium

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello from Belgium

Post by Corsaire »

Hey all,

Thank you for having me here. I've been reading here on and off for a couple of years, and recently purchased a still so I thought I'd make it official and register myself here.

First off, thank you for all the information I've gathered so far. I tried to read and study as much as possible, and i feel I've learned a lot already. Now it's time to see how all that theory turns out in practice :)

I live in Belgium, so I'm well acquainted with good beer. I also like whisky, rum, and enjoy the occasional g&t with my wife or my parents. A couple of years ago I started making cocktails, and since then I really started to buy and sample many different spirits and liqueurs. The thought of making my own spirits became more appealing every day, especially when I read that many of you think the drinks you make are at par with or better than many commercially available brands.

I've bought a copper pot still, since I couldn't wait to start stilling once I finally made up my mind. I have every intent to build my own still in the future. I'm very interested in the modular steam powered threads :)

At the moment I'm performing the vinegar run while I'm making a 25l batch of an All-Bran like ferment. I have 20l of Birdwatcher's that's nearing completion to use as a sac run.
I've enlisted the help of a brewer friend (who happens to love single malt scotch whisky) to start going AG as soon as I've figured out how to distill and make cuts properly.

Cheers!

Corsaire
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Belgium

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Welcome aboard!
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to the forum Corsaire, Your brewer friend should be helpful to you and without to much trouble you should be able to make a passable Scotch.
You will have to keep a bit of an eye on him because brewing beer and making spirits are two different games in many respects. His first thought will be that we are a fairly unhygienic bunch.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Saltbush Bill wrote:.... His first thought will be that we are a fairly unhygienic bunch.
Now that's funny.
Cleaning the still is about where Cleanliness-next-to-Godliness ends.

Good to see you've done your homework, Corsaire.
Welcome!
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Haha that's true. I mean, we've got some nice wild bretty beers over here but when I explained what a dunder pit is he cringed :-)

Thanks for the welcome!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Corsaire wrote:when I explained what a dunder pit is he cringed :-)
I'm sure he will recoil in horror if you show him this link. http://www.rumgallery.com/travel--life/ ... ious-photo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Some really nice rum ferments happening here ....Brewers do what brewers do best ..make beer, some don't adapt to distilling , others do. :D
Lots more photos if you click the little arrows up the top right of screen :thumbup:
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Wow. I've read about them but never actually looked for them. They look exactly as I'd imagined them :)