East Coast Canada

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

newfie
Novice

East Coast Canada

Post by newfie »

Good day from east coast Canada. :-)
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: East Coast Canada

Post by acfixer69 »

may want to add a little more the welcome wasn't just a hoop to jump. Good day too ya too.
AC
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

What acfixer69 said.
Whassup? Tell us a little more.
Been reading here? Have a still? Old hand or new to this game?

Welcome nevertheless.
newfie
Novice

Post by newfie »

LOL, Ok.

I've been in and out of the forum for a while. Mostly just browsing and learning. I used to help my mother's ex boyfriend make moonshine about 24 years ago. He just had a CO container on a camp stove with a hose going into cooled water. He never made it for taste or did anything to improve the flavour. Just wanted bottles of liquor to drink.

A couple years ago I decided I wanted to get into making it for myself, but the small town I live in has very little resources for making a still. Can't even get copper line larger than 1" anywhere. I made a very very poorly designed still with a small stainless steel kettle and 3/8 line in a bucket of ice water. It worked, but out of a 5 gallon bucket of mash I got about 500ml of shine that was very poor quality and not very strong.

Now I'm in the process of gather what I need to make a better still. I have a 57L stainless steel keg and I plan on buying a keg kit on eBay for the copper and connections. My goal is to create a neutral spirit that I can use to create party punches, liqueurs, etc. I know a pot still is probably the worse path to take for this goal but due to my limited budget a pot still is all I can afford. I'm thinking I might add a thumper with water to help smooth out the flavour but that will add to the overall size and portability.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

That's the spirit!
Absolutely nothing wrong with a pot still. Lots of members use 'em. And with great results.
You'll make some fine drinks with one.
Welcome again.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

Welcome fellow Canadian!

Can make a 2" ccvm with marbles for packing can be made pretty cheap.

Call local plumber that does commercial jobs. They will have some 2" copper chunks. (Cheaper then buying a full length)

And marbles from hobbylobby $3 US for 2lb of 14mm marbles.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Welcome :wave:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
frost021
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frost021 »

welcome scole from another EC Canadian