Hello from Curitiba, Brazil

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

luis
Novice

Hello from Curitiba, Brazil

Post by luis »

Hi. My name is Luis, I'm 38 years old and I live in Curitiba, Brazil.

Firstly I would like to congratulate the forum because it has a lot of quality information. I have studied the subject a lot and I have already made my first recipes and for now it has been an incredible experience.
My main interest is about bourbons. I've always wondered why this type of drink is not produced here.

It has been a very big challenge to distill at home here in Brazil. Difficulty finding the ingredients, stills, woods for aging, the language (good thing you can not hear my accent), units of measure, everything. I have a thousand doubts, I will try not to bother you. But I'm also willing to talk about cachaça (I never produced, just drank), Brazilian woods. I'm doing some experiments to age my spirits since there is no white oak here in the southern hemisphere.

Cheers,

Luis
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Curitiba, Brazil

Post by Still Life »

Had to look up cachaça.
I hope you find the grains to make a bourbon. Good luck on your journey.
Welcome.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

Can you get fleshly crushed cane juice?
I've done a couple of runs of cachaça from my own cane. I can't say either were a great success. You would have a much better chance of making good cachaça where you are.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Welcome! It is always interesting to get the perspective of someone with different experiences. There's lots of good information about Bourbons around here, and you'll be able to find whatever you need.
luis
Novice

Post by luis »

Thank you. I live in an urban area of a big city so I do not have access to quality cane. I also do not have space in my house to produce cachaça. And Curitiba is cold, being the coldest capital of Brazil that is not good for the cane. It is not usual but last year it even snowed.

In addition, there are already hundreds of distilleries producing cachaça here, all in rural areas and I do not want to be just one more.
But I can find good grains. We are big producers of corn. People say that our malt used in our beer is of the highest quality. So, it's being harder than I thought, but if it were easy it would not be fun.
Thank you again
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Check out the Honey Bear Bourbon in my signature line then.
Developed by member Shineon Crazy Diamond, it's a full-bodied drink with a lush exotic grain flavor.
Tastes great white, too.
luis
Novice

Post by luis »

Nice. I've never tried oat, but the others ingredients I can find at a brewery. There are several types of malt and yeasts still not sure which one to use. My first spirits are almost drinkable when white. It tastes a bit sour, not perfect. But I'm going to do a complete posting in the right place, step by step, and ask for help.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

welcome in, i've often said the same, if it were easy it wouldn't be as much fun! (usually while i'm cleaning up a failed ferment :ebiggrin: )
some of the best imports into Canada have been from Brazil. I'm not sure what is in the water there but y'all grow some beautiful women.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome to the forum. would love to see your set up
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome Luis. I really enjoyed watching the olympics recently that your country hosted. Sorry for the A-hole swimmer, whatever his name was, that told that lie. What a jerk he was.

Good luck stillin.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

Bem-vindo ao fórum. Curitiba é uma das minhas cidades favoritas no Brasil. Não tenha medo de fazer perguntas e também não rir do meu sotaque. Morava no Belém do Pará pra um tempo.

Encontrar o carvalho provavelmente vai ser difícil. Eu não sei o que outra Madeira você deve usar.

I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
luis
Novice

Post by luis »

OtisT wrote:Welcome Luis. I really enjoyed watching the olympics recently that your country hosted. Sorry for the A-hole swimmer, whatever his name was, that told that lie. What a jerk he was.

Good luck stillin.
Yes, I remember that. What a jerk.
luis
Novice

Post by luis »

Opdog wrote:Bem-vindo ao fórum. Curitiba é uma das minhas cidades favoritas no Brasil. Não tenha medo de fazer perguntas e também não rir do meu sotaque. Morava no Belém do Pará pra um tempo.

Encontrar o carvalho provavelmente vai ser difícil. Eu não sei o que outra Madeira você deve usar.

I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.
Obrigado. Aí em Belém você tem um clima muito mais quente do que aqui, você está destilando o que? Vou responder em ingles para que as demais pessoas entendam.
I am using the same woods that people use to age the cachaça. Testing Balsamo, Amburana and Jequitiba chips. So far, better results with Balsamo. And I also imported a 20L white oak barrel from the US.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Welcome aboard. I make a fake Cachaca from panela, not quite kosher, but it compares well to the commercial stuff we can get over here.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

Olá Luis. Bem-vindo ao fórum. There is a large brew supply business right outside of Campinas on Rodovia Campinas- Mogi Mirim. I can not remember the name but they do have a fair amount of supplies including grains and malt and they do ship. Also, I have had great luck with eBay purchases. Out of 30 or so orders only one did not get to me. Of course the wait for delivery is very long but you are used to that I assume. On average 30-45 days from time of order. If I can recommend one thing it would be Rice. Brazil is blessed with lots of rice and it makes a great drink. You can also find cracked corn at the pet store but rice is cheaper in Brazil than feed corn. Sam's Club has lots of rice varieties and in large quantity. Good luck and feel free to send me a private message if you feel the need.
luis wrote:Hi. My name is Luis, I'm 38 years old and I live in Curitiba, Brazil.

Firstly I would like to congratulate the forum because it has a lot of quality information. I have studied the subject a lot and I have already made my first recipes and for now it has been an incredible experience.
My main interest is about bourbons. I've always wondered why this type of drink is not produced here.

It has been a very big challenge to distill at home here in Brazil. Difficulty finding the ingredients, stills, woods for aging, the language (good thing you can not hear my accent), units of measure, everything. I have a thousand doubts, I will try not to bother you. But I'm also willing to talk about cachaça (I never produced, just drank), Brazilian woods. I'm doing some experiments to age my spirits since there is no white oak here in the southern hemisphere.

Cheers,

Luis
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

i second luis.
in the south rice is prevelent.
i have visited alot.
try local rice recipes.
there is surely locals who are brewing with rice :thumbup:
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
papstoker
Novice

Post by papstoker »

Welcome Luis!

I nad to google Cachaca (was confusing it witb Chica) and see it is made from raw sugawpr cane, which is interesting. Here in South Africa we have a big sugar industry and we distill a drink we call 'Cane' from it. My grandparents used to drink it, but it has become less popular in the last 20 years, whit all the designer drinks. I am now tempted to try it. We dont barrel age Cane as it seems is done with Cachaca. I will try this as well. What woods is used for aging Cachaca?

Anothe question - Chica seems to be a corn beer? When I make UJSSM and taste the wash before it has finished fermenting, its pretty good. Is this similar to Chica?
Never trust a man who don't drink
bigbone32
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bigbone32 »

The majority of Cachaca is aged in oak although some is aged in various types of wood native to Brasil. A lot is also sold white.
Sugar cane juice has a very short shelf life, as in hours. So distilling with it away from the cane source is very difficult.
I have never seen chica but was thinking in Brasil it is made from Cassava that has been chewed up and spit out. I don't think I'd be interested in that.
papstoker wrote:Welcome Luis!

I nad to google Cachaca (was confusing it witb Chica) and see it is made from raw sugawpr cane, which is interesting. Here in South Africa we have a big sugar industry and we distill a drink we call 'Cane' from it. My grandparents used to drink it, but it has become less popular in the last 20 years, whit all the designer drinks. I am now tempted to try it. We dont barrel age Cane as it seems is done with Cachaca. I will try this as well. What woods is used for aging Cachaca?

Anothe question - Chica seems to be a corn beer? When I make UJSSM and taste the wash before it has finished fermenting, its pretty good. Is this similar to Chica?