Iowan in the house!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

BloatedLeprekon
Novice

Iowan in the house!

Post by BloatedLeprekon »

Hello everyone.

Coming to you from the Heartland of the USA...Iowa. We're the corn state, not the potato state, just to be clear. :D

I've done some limited reading on the topic at hand after gaining some interest through some talks with coworkers of mine and would like to learn more. I've viewed a few videos on YouTube, some of which confused me and others intrigued me even more. I'm hoping that by joining here I can leverage the great base of knowledge to help my own curiosity and knowledge grow.

I'm interested in the area of whisky and the like, and I've cooked a couple of recipes from a book I bought and then handed the results off to a coworker to finish off. However, my last couple of attempts to "get fancy" ended in nothing happening in my fermenter bucket. I'll certainly be digging in to find out where I went wrong and how to correct it. It's all a learning experience though, right?

Thanks for having me!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Iowan in the house!

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard , steer clear of UTube , A large proportion of the information there is bad at best and often worse.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

mmmm.... corn.

This may sound conceited, but this site should be your Go-To for distilling information.
Any hillbilly with Aunt Clara's pressure cooker can whomp together a You Tube stillin' video --complete with rubber gasket drippings and lead pipe tastiness.
(Member "Jes2xu" has a series which may be the exception)

You'll find Safety First here. And combined sets of experience that will keep you on the straight & narrow.

Stay safe. Stay smart. Welcome.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Welcome in 8)

If you want whiskey and know nothing, try UJSSSM (Uncle Jessies SSM) We can help you ferment it if you get stuck and it is very iimportant to understand ferments. You also need a pot still, or a reflux which CAN be run in pot mode and WILL heat right up to 212F without damage - Some of the commercial ones can't. So ask here if you need advice on a purchase.

My advice would be stick to sugarheads at first - "stuff" for flavouring and sugar to provide the alcohol.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Welcome.

Good advice all. Pick a simple recipe from the Tried and True section, and follow the procedure exactly. They work every time.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, take alot of what's on youtbe with some skepticism. there is some good info. but a lot of bad info on it. tons of information here
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stargazer14 »

Also, plenty of receipes that work in the 'Tried& True' section, stick with those for a while till you get 'full' grasp of how things work ingredient wise before you start on a path of experiementaion.

I think some folks start off on a path of failed mashes then lose interest. Stick with what works for a bit until you are fully hooked!