Greetings from Kuwait

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stavrose
Novice

Greetings from Kuwait

Post by Stavrose »

Hello, everyone!

I'm new to distilling and the only thing I distilled was red grape by using an electric still. :) but I keep reading about distilling everyday and trying to learn something new.

Thinking of making my own pot still before I proceed to buy one from the market!
thecroweater
retired

Re: Greetings from Kuwait

Post by thecroweater »

Welcome Stavros, hey buddy I understand why you would want to distill your own in Kuwait but you want to be mighty causious. I understand its not actually illegal there to make or drink alcohol for personal use in private but drunkenness is a major crime, KD 50 first offence 6 months jail for second. Trading or sharing gets really scary where the penalty is up to 10 years imprisonment. Hope ya do well and stay safe.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hello Stavros.
We can steer you to make a good drink and help you with your still.

I Googled cultural drinking laws in Kuwait for a quick lesson.
You are a very brave person. Stay indoors when imbibing and don't even ride in a taxi to go somewhere.
But you know the rules better than I do.

Welcome, and be discreet.
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

thecroweater wrote:Welcome Stavros, hey buddy I understand why you would want to distill your own in Kuwait but you want to be mighty causious. I understand its not actually illegal there to make or drink alcohol for personal use in private but drunkenness is a major crime, KD 50 first offence 6 months jail for second. Trading or sharing gets really scary where the penalty is up to 10 years imprisonment. Hope ya do well and stay safe.
Don't worry, I have my own space and the thing we make just for personal use, we don't sell it here at all :)
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

Still Life wrote:Hello Stavros.
We can steer you to make a good drink and help you with your still.

I Googled cultural drinking laws in Kuwait for a quick lesson.
You are a very brave person. Stay indoors when imbibing and don't even ride in a taxi to go somewhere.
But you know the rules better than I do.

Welcome, and be discreet.
I have my own car and if I can't drive, I will sleep over or just ask my friend to take me home. Always stay indoors since we can't drink here freely :)
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Welcome in.

I wonder, if you transplanted one of the locals from there to the middle of Las Vegas Blvd on any given Friday night...would their heads explode from culture shock?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Welcome, Stavrose!
Enjoy your journey, forbidden fruit is said to be the sweetest. I do believe building your own gear is not only safer but adds it's own sense of accomplishment.
What spirit are you hoping to master?
Hobby distilling does have more risk in Kuwait, we only risk losing our homes and spending time in the Federal Pen...
I guess we all have to deal with a level of risk, except for our Bros in New Zealand.
Glad you joined us here!
Just Sayin'
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

HDNB wrote:Welcome in.

I wonder, if you transplanted one of the locals from there to the middle of Las Vegas Blvd on any given Friday night...would their heads explode from culture shock?
Umm, nope. Maybe locals from Saudi would their heads explode :D
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

just sayin wrote:Welcome, Stavrose!
Enjoy your journey, forbidden fruit is said to be the sweetest. I do believe building your own gear is not only safer but adds it's own sense of accomplishment.
What spirit are you hoping to master?
Hobby distilling does have more risk in Kuwait, we only risk losing our homes and spending time in the Federal Pen...
I guess we all have to deal with a level of risk, except for our Bros in New Zealand.
Glad you joined us here!
Just Sayin'
Currently working on making a good "Raki" "Ouzo" or "Arak" I'm trying to make my own recipe for now and once I accomplish it, I will move to making whiskey :)
If you do it at home and nobody knows about it, there is zero chance that people will find out, no matter what. The only people know about it are my close friends, same as me but don't have space to do their own liquor.
we need something "decent" to drink at least, instead of buying a johnney walker for $270 - $300 from black market.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Stavrose wrote:
.......we need something "decent" to drink at least, instead of buying a johnney walker for $270 - $300 from black market.
Jeez if I could get THAT for it - be bloody hard to keep to the "Don't sell" philosophy !

We can get you making "stuff" - can you get OAK to age it on ? - If not then you need to be looking at importing some - untreated but seasoned, or ex-barrel oak staves. Maybe you can get the "Jim Beam" or "Jack daniels" smoking chips ? They will do at a pinch.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Stavrose,
I hope you are talking about Johnnie Walker Blue at that price, but I doubt it given your location. Plain old Bird Watcher will give you the alcohol on the cheap. Can you buy anise seed in bulk without raising eyebrows?
What type of still do you plan to build? A big old stainless steal stock pot with stainless steel lid is an easy place to start. A meter of 5 to 7 cm. copper or stainless tubing, a Tee for take off and a coil of corrigated stainless steel gas tubing above makes a very simple start. Search Dad300.
We wish you the best! There are many here who strive for brownie points by shooting down newbies with questions, I ask my brothers to yeild in your case as we may be talking life and death. If you are harassed please feel free to to PM me. My own journey is less than a decade, but I was treated gently here and on other forums when I finally day lighted several years ago.
Zumurgy Bob labeled us "The Brotherhood of Outlaw Distillers" several years ago. Brother, I wish you the best! There is a nearly limitless source of distilling information available here at HD free for your education. If you can't find an answer or you need clarification just ask.
Please, keep us updated on you progress!
Stay safe, please stay safe, a few too many in your case could be very dangerous. Brother Distiller, take care, enjoy each step of your journey and be very vigilant with whom you share your quest!
Your Brother, Just Sayin'
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

Pikey wrote:
Stavrose wrote:
.......we need something "decent" to drink at least, instead of buying a johnney walker for $270 - $300 from black market.
Jeez if I could get THAT for it - be bloody hard to keep to the "Don't sell" philosophy !

We can get you making "stuff" - can you get OAK to age it on ? - If not then you need to be looking at importing some - untreated but seasoned, or ex-barrel oak staves. Maybe you can get the "Jim Beam" or "Jack daniels" smoking chips ? They will do at a pinch.
Thanks for replying.

I always order oak chips and I found out hat Ace hardware sells Jack daniel oak chips as well lol. Basically, you can import anything as long as there is nothing written on it, like "Whiskey. alcohol, beer, wine" etc
All of my equipment are imported and did not have any delay when I received them. :)
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

just sayin wrote:Stavrose,
I hope you are talking about Johnnie Walker Blue at that price, but I doubt it given your location. Plain old Bird Watcher will give you the alcohol on the cheap. Can you buy anise seed in bulk without raising eyebrows?
What type of still do you plan to build? A big old stainless steal stock pot with stainless steel lid is an easy place to start. A meter of 5 to 7 cm. copper or stainless tubing, a Tee for take off and a coil of corrigated stainless steel gas tubing above makes a very simple start. Search Dad300.
We wish you the best! There are many here who strive for brownie points by shooting down newbies with questions, I ask my brothers to yeild in your case as we may be talking life and death. If you are harassed please feel free to to PM me. My own journey is less than a decade, but I was treated gently here and on other forums when I finally day lighted several years ago.
Zumurgy Bob labeled us "The Brotherhood of Outlaw Distillers" several years ago. Brother, I wish you the best! There is a nearly limitless source of distilling information available here at HD free for your education. If you can't find an answer or you need clarification just ask.
Please, keep us updated on you progress!
Stay safe, please stay safe, a few too many in your case could be very dangerous. Brother Distiller, take care, enjoy each step of your journey and be very vigilant with whom you share your quest!
Your Brother, Just Sayin'
I bought Johnnie walker black label for a friend's birthday at that price once.
Anise? I can buy in bulk and that's fine. Every month, I make 20Gal of wine for my friends and for me. I do buy ingredients daily, not in the same daily otherwise, people will look at me and even though, there is nothing wrong with it.

Currently I have an Air still, a modified water distiller. I've seen a guy on Youtube building one and I thought I could get all the stuff from Ace Hardware, since he got his from there as well.
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5PuGJ0ULhI&t=1s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I really I appreciate your and other help and welcoming me here at HD
Will definitely take your word for staying safe and sharing my quest!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

That video is like a list of what not to do :-(
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

yeah, don't use any info from that video.
look at this and the post below it http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p6950270

get a stockpot with a lid or a bowl to fit over it, flour paste and you're on your way

BTW the riser does not need to be 2", 3/4 inch and up works fine.

Best of luck lad
Don't be a dick
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

Mikey-moo wrote:That video is like a list of what not to do :-(
Oh.... That's a shock! I thought he made a decent distiller at least :S
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

Swedish Pride wrote:yeah, don't use any info from that video.
look at this and the post below it http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p6950270

get a stockpot with a lid or a bowl to fit over it, flour paste and you're on your way

Best of luck lad
I've looked at the link you provided, there are so many things explained in details and I'm just new to making a distiller. I found it so difficult for me to understand because I haven't worked on making one yet.

Riser? Do you mean the pipe where the cuts travel in?

I can get a stockpot with a lid, drill it and seal it with flour paste every time I distill but I need to find someone with the list of other stuff to learn how to make a simple one.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Stavrose wrote:
Mikey-moo wrote:That video is like a list of what not to do :-(
Oh.... That's a shock! I thought he made a decent distiller at least :S
I picked up that he was a newbie that knew bugger all at about 7 seconds. Unfortunately, Youtube is more entertainment than it is a research tool.
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

I may end up buying one from the net -___-
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Stavrose wrote:I may end up buying one from the net -___-
Don't lose heart Stavrose! In principle what he's doing makes sense. Heating the alcohol trapped in the boiler so that it turns to vapour and then diverting the vapour to somewhere cold to turn back to liquid. But he's using lots of materials known to cause problems e.g. JB Weld to glue the output pipe on. Too small an output pipe. Rubber seal on the pressure cooker. Ice in the cooling bucket.

With a little bit of research on here, you can make a great set up, free of nasty glue and plastic bits, and you'll get a great drop of alcohol out of it. We'll all try to help, but best place to start is reading the link in my signature :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Stavrose wrote:
Swedish Pride wrote:yeah, don't use any info from that video.

Best of luck lad
I've looked at the link you provided, there are so many things explained in details and I'm just new to making a distiller. I found it so difficult for me to understand because I haven't worked on making one yet.

Riser? Do you mean the pipe where the cuts travel in?

I can get a stockpot with a lid, drill it and seal it with flour paste every time I distill but I need to find someone with the list of other stuff to learn how to make a simple one.
Sure, i get there is a lot of new terminology and what not.
Basically the pipe coming off teh lid does not need to be bigger than 3/4.
make it as high as suits you, think collection hight.
two 90 angles to get you to a downsloap, one 3/4 to 1/2 reducer and then make the liebig 3/4 over 1/2, easy peasy :D
Don't be a dick
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

Mikey-moo wrote:
Stavrose wrote:I may end up buying one from the net -___-
Don't lose heart Stavrose! In principle what he's doing makes sense. Heating the alcohol trapped in the boiler so that it turns to vapour and then diverting the vapour to somewhere cold to turn back to liquid. But he's using lots of materials known to cause problems e.g. JB Weld to glue the output pipe on. Too small an output pipe. Rubber seal on the pressure cooker. Ice in the cooling bucket.

With a little bit of research on here, you can make a great set up, free of nasty glue and plastic bits, and you'll get a great drop of alcohol out of it. We'll all try to help, but best place to start is reading the link in my signature :-)
I appreciate it :) Now I understand the bad things that would come out from his still, I didn't like the idea of the glue from the beginning and the rubber seal. I will take a look at that link from your signature!
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

A small hint - try first to master a spirit from a source of fermentable sugars readily available to you in your locality. Search this forum to see what people use, preferably in the tried and tested, and then ask yourself if you can get the ingredients easily where u live. Go with this produce to start with. Once mastered you can spread your wings and fly. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

Jimy Dee wrote:A small hint - try first to master a spirit from a source of fermentable sugars readily available to you in your locality. Search this forum to see what people use, preferably in the tried and tested, and then ask yourself if you can get the ingredients easily where u live. Go with this produce to start with. Once mastered you can spread your wings and fly. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk
I've been fermenting grape for a year, I didn't try to do any improvements because I feel happy with it and playing with Air still to distill for a start :)
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

The suggests are fine but perhaps now is a good time to start a thread in an appropriate section like say distilling in Kuwait in the novice section as this discussion is moving beyond the scope of welcomes :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Stavrose
Novice

Post by Stavrose »

thecroweater wrote:The suggests are fine but perhaps now is a good time to start a thread in an appropriate section like say distilling in Kuwait in the novice section as this discussion is moving beyond the scope of welcomes :thumbup:
:silent: :oops: