G'day from NZ

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

APD
Novice

G'day from NZ

Post by APD »

G'day all,

First post. Been distilling for around 18months - 2 years.
Thankfully born and bred Kiwi so I get to indulge my hobby without looking over my shoulder for revenue collectors and badges.

Started into distilling with an interest in Whisky and Rum.
Have a family that has messed around with hobby homebrewing and winemaking for as long as I can remember (my Grandfathers parsnip wine ended several parties and probably one or two marriages).

I first got the brew-bug when I was at university and out of boredom packed a hollowed-out watermelon with demoraran sugar pitched yeast on top of that and suspended it over a bucket in a muslin sack to let nature run its course. :D

Currently running a home-built 4" copper column pot still with thumper on a 50L kettle that's a combination of copper and stainless, basically whatever I could happen across and bodge together.
Thumper is now a small, old 15L copper cylinder that I cleaned out and converted (started off too small and had to upgrade it).
Condenser is a 5m long 3/4 inch copper worm I formed up and fixed into its own stainless pot.
All breaks down with tri-clamp fittings for easy cleaning (also I'm a fabricator and loathe threaded joins).

Been making full grain conversions; Smoked peat barley malt whisky/moonshine (it doesn't sit around long enough to become Whisky), corn whiskey - and rum from molasses.
Brewing in 50L batches to match my kettle size.

In the last 2 weeks started scratch building a 2" copper combination column that'll convert from pot to reflux, so I can mess around and experiment a bit more with coil-relux versus dephlegmators and such.
I live in the wok-woks offgrid so I'm running entirely on gas and haven't been able to play with electric elements, thermostats or PID controllers and the like.

Would genuinely like to start my own legit commercial micro-distillery, ... but at the moment that goes onto the wishlists we all have along with beer-baroness supermodel girlfriends. :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: G'day from NZ

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum. It's always good to see another Kiwi here.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

APD G'day mate...you appear to have a handle on what your doing. DO have a gander at Cranky's spoon feeding for nubees, if you haven't already...http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975

that said Welcome ! and... I do like your wish list !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Welcome! You got it going on.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Welcome, you lucky son of a....gun! NZ-the true land of the free!