Hello from Denmark

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

OliverS
Novice

Hello from Denmark

Post by OliverS »

Hello!
My name is Oliver and I have wanted to make my own Gin for some time now.
So, I am here to learn how to make Gin and what tools/equipment, I will need for it.
If any of you can help me out with some reading material on how to make Gin or some general advise, it would be amazing.
My dream is turn making Gin into a business, so what equipment(professionally) I will need is also a question, I would love to get some help with :)

Thank you for reading a little bit about me and my new Gin adventure :)
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Denmark

Post by Still Life »

Hello Oliver.
There's some real gin experts here.
Have not made any myself, and I'm not set up to do so.
But here is a good read to start.
Welcome!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Hello Oliver, please read the nubee intro posts, I'd start here...http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 52975//url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It's Cranky's Spoon feeding post...good jump-off point.

Now Gin...you don't have to start off "big" to make a very good gin. Keep everything small to start, like the coffee pot still that posted on HD's mother site. The recipe from Oden makes quite a good gin, however there are a bunch in the "Tried and True" recipes as well. Stay small to start until you get the hang of it. It's a fun hobby, and gin is a good starting place...Welcome, have fun and stay safe !
Getting hung up all day on smiles
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Hej Oliver. Welcome to the forum.

As I recall, the coffee pot still had a composite cork that would be attacked by the alcohols and would contaminate the gin. It has probably been deleted from the parent site for safety reasons. I use a saucepan and steamer with flour paste seals for small runs.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Velkommen!

Indeed NZChris, you recall correctly about the composite cork. Apart from that it was a nice design. (That is why I downloaded the picture!) Never thought of flour seals on such a small scale.

I have not much experience with gin, but looking at the numerous recipes and techniques I think Odins easy gin is a good start and from there you can go anywhere, depending on taste and occasion.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome Ribe is one of my favorite cities in Europe to visit.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

NZChris wrote:Hej Oliver. Welcome to the forum.

As I recall, the coffee pot still had a composite cork that would be attacked by the alcohols and would contaminate the gin. It has probably been deleted from the parent site for safety reasons. I use a saucepan and steamer with flour paste seals for small runs.
We have a general store over here...Sears, who carry a large variety of corks, real cork corks... however that's over here, one could use a piece of oak or maple or make a top out of copper...but your right, a saucepan and steamer with flour paste seals would probably be easier and work just fine.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

OK Oliver...this is what it should look like, a coffee pot still with a copper top for Gin...
Coffee pot still.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A coffee pot doesn't give you the option of a gin basket, or have an easy way to seal it.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Welcome fella.
Not to many would side with the use of a coffee pot as a still here, you can do better Oliver.
A packed column and a pot , or just a pot is a good start in to it, best to learn what you are doing on a small scale before you even think about going legit, will save you money in the long run.
Don't be a dick
Hedge
Novice

Post by Hedge »

Have a quick search for "Odin's Easy Gin" and check out Odin's many threads on gin. Odin is a gin consultant to many craft distillers and very helpful to forum members. He's fairly close to you in Woerden, Netherlands and runs classes as well. Top guy.

Cheers, Hedge