Newbies Please be Creative in your Introduction

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Newbies Please be Creative in your Introduction

Post by ga flatwoods »

In the past I was very active in meeting and greeting. After a while though, it got to be the same old "cut and paste" messages barely able to meet the definition of an introduction. Go ahead and look at all of the posts on the first page of the Welcome Center. You will see that only a third have more than 6-8 sentences. Some only have one, two at most. It seems an inconsiderate gesture to submit such as an introduction as to who you are for entry into one of the best forums on the web. The knowlege here is immense and the research is much more than you could possibly read in its entirety. The reason your search brought you here, your experience, and equipment will help us all to know how to help you more. What you will get back in return is much more than you will be giving up. I would suggest to you that most of the one or two liners will never stay the course for a long stay which is a shame. If you want to make a difference , for both yourself and others, make a difference with your introduction. Remember, first impressions are everything, especially in a digital world. You will be remembered in the coming days, weeks, and months by the impression you first make here. So please, choose your words carefully, be respectful, don't try to gleam with descriptions of works, methods, equipment, etc for which you are not absolute certain of that which you speak. Best yet refrain from anything that you may think is contentious. A start on a bad foot is always a bad start! Have fun and enjoy yourself as you are only a virgin once!
I invite you to read mine.

GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
miket
Novice

Re: Newbies Please be Creative in your Introduction

Post by miket »

I tried to say something. I plan on sticking around for a while, unless I croak and then im sorry.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 27&t=67144
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Mike, that was a fine intro with thought and effort put into it. This craft will fit well into your interest. Enjoy your studies/training!
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Thanks Flatwoods. I lurk around this area and say hi fairly frequently, and have noticed the trend you speak of. To be honest, I think there were a couple of key members in the past, no longer with us, who would always comment on insufficient intros, and get more. Those reminders would be read by the next new members, and generally that cycle 'inspired' more verbose introductions. Maybe I'll try providing more feedback when I have time, and we'll see if that helps.
crazy
Novice

Post by crazy »

" You only get 1 chance to make a first impression " Make the best of it !
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

ga, that is priceless!
I vote that to be a sticky and should be read by every new member before their first post.

I just came back to the introduction to see the same old one or two liners.

I welcome them here and not be rude but more info would definitely be alot easier to help but I can't make the world jump at once.

Shine0n