hello from the maritimes

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Guilty
Novice

hello from the maritimes

Post by Guilty »

have done lots of reading on here and to be honest a lot of it confuses me every now and then.There are some threads on here that just make sense while others ie-temp controllers go on for over 70 pages and are still baffling to me.would love to see stickies with the final builds and wiring diagrams THAT WORK. Great site and so much info!
Thanx
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: hello from the maritimes

Post by Still Life »

Welcome.

I know what you mean, Guilty.
Reading concise material is one thing, a 70-page rambler is another.

Good news. A Home Distiller Wiki is in the works and may solve that issue.
It's just getting started, so it'll be a while.

Meanwhile, use the HD Google Search at top of the page for research.
{Open it; leave a space after the URL; type in word or term your searching for.}
Also check out the Parent Site

Research first. Ask questions afterwards. That's the best way to get good responses.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

One small detail, but it may be helpful if you dont know. Temp controllers aren't often used in stills. Power controllers in the other hand are common. Feel free to ask if you dont understand why.

But yeah, we all feel your pain. The bright side is you learn untold more by reading a dozen 70 page threads on a subject, even if it isnt incredibly efficient.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

The difference between temperature and power control is a really important distinction.

I agree it's difficult to always find the essence of a 70 page post. However, if you spend the time reading, and find a few dozen posts that all reach some conclusion, you will begin to see strong correlations, and that difference is the important one that makes it likely you will make good decisions. Time is the most difficult part of this hobby. TIme figuring it out, time distilling (and waiting for a mash to be ready), and time to age it correctly so it matures into what we really want.

But in time, the same time will have passed whether you spent the time wisely or not, so it seems like it's worth the effort.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

bilgriss wrote:The difference between temperature and power control is a really important distinction.

I agree it's difficult to always find the essence of a 70 page post. However, if you spend the time reading, and find a few dozen posts that all reach some conclusion, you will begin to see strong correlations, and that difference is the important one that makes it likely you will make good decisions. Time is the most difficult part of this hobby. TIme figuring it out, time distilling (and waiting for a mash to be ready), and time to age it correctly so it matures into what we really want.

But in time, the same time will have passed whether you spent the time wisely or not, so it seems like it's worth the effort.
welcome, yeah what he said`~`

I think thats the best welcome I've read in quite some time bilgriss... thanks

I've been reading on a subject that seems to lead to a dead end but I've also learned what not to do by others who tried.
keep reading and keep learning things will happen for ya, if you have questions ask but look (and we'll know) before hand. lol

Shine0n
frost021
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frost021 »

Welcome guilty what part of the maritimes I'm from the halifax area but originally hail from the Cape ...