G'day from Queensland

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jebaque
Novice

G'day from Queensland

Post by Jebaque »

Hi team

Just a new kid on the block. I've been brewing beer for years and thought it was time to start venturing out. I'm fortifying wine and have made a couple of batches of moonshine with someone who's a lot more experience than I. But the next project brought me here - I want to get a pot still and start making some spirits with a bit more flavour.

Let the trawling for info begin
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: G'day from Queensland

Post by kiwi Bruce »

G'day to you too Aussie and welcome to the greatest hobby on earth! Here's a great place to start, it's Cranky's spoon feeding for beginners, a true MUST READ!

http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 52975//url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So good luck to ya, and post lots!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hello from that other hemisphere.
Due diligence pays off just like in your other drink endeavors. Read as much as you can.
Welcome.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

G'day and welcome here, the transition from beer to whiskey and wine to brandy is as natural as can be. You will learn to do a few things a bit differently for sure as your aim will be for much dryer ferments, steps like mashing out will get dropped as counterproductive and the important you place on sterilization will soon be a subject of your past. That said the knowledge you have from beer and wine will start you ahead of the game.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin