Hello from the Rockies

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

TheDolamite
Novice

Hello from the Rockies

Post by TheDolamite »

Hello everyone, I’m “TheDolamite” and I’ve lurked as an un-registered visitor for a few years. But I felt with the growing intent and interaction I’ve had regarding this craft; it was time to step out of the shadows.

I’m an active duty US Green Beret and have had the privilege of traveling the world and sampling so many culture’s homemade spirits. They always come with comradery and good conversation, “they don’t show the guys they don’t like their hobby.”

I have aided numerous ‘craftsmen’ in creating their own brands, but I have yet to build and run my own still at this point. I have re-engaged my research for the type of still I want to build, maintain, and run. It is growing closer to that point and I’m getting excited. My goal is to build a high quality 15gal keg still with 2 columns, a standard “pot-still column” and then I’d like to make a “reflux column” as well. Some of you have built some beautiful stills and I hope to submit my own progress when it begins. (looming deployments will delay my progress sadly)

I appreciate the info, experiences, lessons, and sheer insight you have all provided to this ‘former’ lurker. Shortening my curve quite a bit; though some good old “Pinelanders” have shown me the original ways in the smoky mountains. I need to refine it; hoping in retirement I can open a craft distillery here in the Rocky Mountains.
Happy distilling.
-Dol
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from the Rockies

Post by bilgriss »

Nice introduction, and welcome!

We'll be waiting to hear of your progress. Sounds like you are on the right path.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

I've got the highest regard for service members.
Glad you came out of the shadows to join us and have some fun.
Sounds like you know the ropes, so all that's left is to thank you for your selfless service and Welcome!
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

thank you for your service TheDolamite
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welome, lots of people willing to help.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks for your service . Take any and all you can learn from here to further 'winning hearts and minds' in pursuit of your mission . Don't wait to get back to 'the world' to share what you can . Other folks will appreciate better drinks , too .
Might make you the hero that gets to live another day .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .