Amateur Rum Distiller

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

ElCubanazo
Bootlegger

Amateur Rum Distiller

Post by ElCubanazo »

Hello all!

I'm a 20-something Cuban-American who got bit by the distilling bug while reading a book about the history of Cuba and the Bacardi family. While reading the part describing the founder, Don Facundo's, process I just became obsessed with the idea of distilling.

Here we are months later and I've already made at least 10 gallons worth with an awful (literal) pot still that I got on eBay for cheap.

Next moves are to buy a nice 8-gallon combo pot/reflux still w/ heating element, learn how to blend a more robust rum (currently a little too smooth), and start exploring with a gin made from rum feints.

Cheers!
-El Cubanazo

¡Viva Cuba Libre!
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Amateur Rum Distiller

Post by raketemensch »

Welcome, we’ve had some really interesting experiments and discoveries around molasses and dunder and flavoring from some of our members over the past couple of years here.

Rum seems to be increasing in popularity all the time around here, so you’ve come to the right place.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

You shouldn''t have to go the trouble of building or buying a reflux still for a robust rum, when a simple pot still is the best tool for that job. I'm not sure that a reflux column could clean up rum feints enough for gin. Gin is best made with a spirit that adds to the flavors, or at least doesn't clash and I don't know that rum would be a good match. Don't let that stop you trying it if you think you'll like it.

I use my rum feints for making rum and tomato paste wash for making gin, and have been successfully doing that for years without a reflux column.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Welcome!
Note that there is much required reading in order to be a member in good standing here.
There's a link in my signature to get you started.

The pot still is the tool of choice for rum.
Personally I do a 1.5 run, not a true strip then spirit run.
I mix fresh rum wash with my stripped output and do a "spirit" run that way.
That's about to change though as I now have what I need to build a thumper, so I will henceforth be running my stripped runs through a thumper that contains fresh wash and possibly "other ingredients"
First up on my list of stuff I'll put in the thumper is fresh pineapple, pureed and mixed with fresh wash.
We shall see what this produces,hopefully something grand!

Please be careful with equipment bought off ebay. My first still (bought before finding this place) was an ebay still.
When tested I found the solder contained lead.
It went back to the seller, after I complained to ebay I was refunded my money.
Then I ( at the encouragement of folks here ) built my own pot still head.
The techniques are easy to learn, I'd strongly suggest you look into it.
Also there's lots of helpful people over in the build forum here who will answer all questions.

Have fun, stay safe!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

nerdybrewer wrote:The pot still is the tool of choice for rum.
Are you suggesting that its not possible to make good rum with any other sort of Still?
It may be your choice of stills , but not the choice of everybody.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Agreed with saltbush on this one. Rafael Arroyo wasn't using a pot still for his famous heavy rums. Lots of very flavorful rum has come out of reflux stills.

Regardless, welcome aboard, sounds like you have got the bug. So my one piece of advice would be to go bigger. If you've really made 10 gallons of rum from a small pot still, you know what you are getting into and aren't likely to just abandon the hobby. If you are investing anyway, might as well make the most of it. My booze was never great until I upgraded to a 15 gallon boiler, everything is easier at scale, but most importantly cuts are easier and more forgiving to make.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome ElCubanaza, it does sound like you have the bug. Looks like if you would like to continue this topic and share your recipe you should start a new thread in Recipe development or My first thread section.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

zapata wrote: My booze was never great until I upgraded to a 15 gallon boiler, everything is easier at scale, but most importantly cuts are easier and more forgiving to make.
:thumbup:
Bigger boiler = better cuts and more hearts = more and better booze to age and drink = longer aging = Better Rum.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I run both large and small stills and I'm unconvinced that it is impossible to get good cuts out of small stills just because small stills get a regular bashing from forum frequenters that haven't taken the time to learn how to run them. With good skills, the main difference is the ratio of effort to reward and, at hobby scale, smaller is sometimes better, especially when you are treading new ground.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

NZChris wrote:I run both large and small stills and I'm unconvinced that it is impossible to get good cuts out of small stills just because small stills get a regular bashing from forum frequenters that haven't taken the time to learn how to run them. With good skills, the main difference is the ratio of effort to reward and, at hobby scale, smaller is sometimes better, especially when you are treading new ground.
Chris maybe you need to take into account that the advice given is aimed at a relative newbie to this hobby.
Not someone who has spent 30 years using the same two pot stills and who has progressed very little further than that.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm not the one suggesting a newbie should build or buy a reflux column for making a robust rum.

BTW, I have five stills that can run in various configurations, including reflux and hybrids. I successfully commissioned a new still today that you will not find the design for on any forum.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

No longer a welcome topic please start a new thread in the appropriate place. Thanks