Hello from Croatia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Zer0_HR
Novice

Hello from Croatia

Post by Zer0_HR »

Hello to you all!

I am 24 years old Electrical Engineer from Croatia and usually working with amplifiers.

I would like to thank you all for sheering your knowledge, experiences and thought on this forum.

As a noobie distiller who got very interested in this hobby I got pot still as a present from my grandfather.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5rHd ... lozTzVRd2c

Pot still is around 10 years old and is traditional stile of still in Eastern Europe.
It has 80L boiler, relatively flat lyne arm with slate tilt towards condenser.
Condenser is 200L barrel with 2 and a half turns coil.
All pipes are 1 1/8 inch in diameter.

For start i was planing on cleaning it with vinegar and water mix and then distill pure water.

Water in condenser gets rely hot so it is normal practice to change hot water from top of the condenser with cold,
since nobody watch for cuts that was something to keep people occupied.
My plan was to connect radiator to condenser and circulate water with pump.

In my country usual type of spirit is made from fruits so that is something I planing on starting with.
We usual use plums, apples, pears and grapes.

Best regards,
Dario
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Hello from Croatia

Post by Kareltje »

That is a great present!!
Puts you in the tradition of your family, I suppose.
I have seen some of the stills from your region on Youtube, but I never saw a white one!

Is distilling legal in your country?
Zer0_HR
Novice

Post by Zer0_HR »

They painted it after every season :D

It is legal, but we need to pay taxes like on everithing else :crazy:
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

CROATIA! ! ! NO STI#! I used to go to Rijeka on vacation (well...to the camp ground at Opatija)...one of the MOST fantastic areas on this planet! And you...you lucky bastard, you live there! And Slivovitz ! I don't need to say more. I took my...then girl friend...now wife...there, to Opatija, before we went back home to get married. Loved the area, the people, the food, the booze.
Well ZerO you are most welcome here...your Grandad gave you a still...mine only ever gave my socks. Welcome on board the good ship "Make a Drop" don't be afraid to ask questions if something seems hard or a bit odd or difficult. Been there, done that, got the muck all over my overalls to prove it!
OH and do read the new member welcome from ga flatwoods...http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 56527//url
AND...cranky's spoon feeding...whttp://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 52975//url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
And again Welcome!
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Zer0_HR
Novice

Post by Zer0_HR »

Thanks for the info and hospitality.

Croatia is wery beautiful country, and we are werry proud on it.

Looking forward on sharing recipes and experiences with members of this forum.

Cheers :D