Hello from Winnipeg, Canada

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dima
Novice

Hello from Winnipeg, Canada

Post by Dima »

Hello,
My name is Dima, I'm 31, industrial mechanic. Live in Winnipeg, Canada but born and raised in Ukraine, left homeland 15 years ago, but call Canada my home and it is home for my children.
Like to do things, figure out how they work and try to improve :)
My cousin (35 years older than i am) back in Ukraine used to make home made vodka(samogon) and wine.
He had grapes around his house and lots of farm land, every year my father and I would travel to village to see my cousin and he alway had the best wine and vodka. I waa too young for vodka so i always had wine at dinner table. So was always fascinated by how the wine and vodka were made.
My first wine from grapes i made at age 13, 18 liters of it, no yeast just grapes and sugar. My sister accidentally hit the carboy and broke it (well that's what she said anyway) but since imade nothing.
One day few months ago my neighbor asked me to fix his pot still, it was build poorly and was leakeing every where :)
So i did fix it, but it got me hooked on ideas on how to improve it. Added thumbler made of 3" copper pipe to help with essential oils but then thanks to this site i found out that pot is not the best to male vodka - so i retrofitted the pot with 1.5" diameter Bokakob, not the one with plates but the one with reducers. Made it out of parts that i had without inverting too much money. The condenser had dual coil inside 2" pipe, which I made to move to bigger pipe once i have it. Water is from well, so it is very cold 5-7°C and not costing me much either.
Ran couple batches that my neighbor made with turbo yeast, and my own Birdwatchers yesterday, fot the fraction of the cost (of turbo run) i got nearly same amount of neutral.
Now I will be getting a 3" diameter pipe, found 7' piece online, for 100$ which is relatively in expensive (12' is around 350$) looking to buy keg (not stollen ofcourse) I think will make a boka with plates instead of reducers.
Got some sweet feed with molasses yesterday and started a mash of Sweetfeed Wisky and got some cord to try and make Unkle Jesses Sour recipe :-) also Caroline bourbon is on my list.
The thing is - I don't drink, challenging myself not to drink for a year, so all that wonderful stuff will be just "aging" for another 3 months
Attachments
20170910_221227-918x1632-800x1422-450x800.jpg
20170917_202712-918x1632-800x1422-450x800.jpg
20170910_210919-1632x918-1422x800-800x450.jpg
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Winnipeg, Canada

Post by Danespirit »

Greetings.. :wave:
Well, it seems like you've got a good start in this wonderful hobby.
Please have a look at the spoonfeed thread (link in my signature).
It will help you with a lot of questions...even those you do not know you'll have yet..
The column looks fine to me, but the boiler was questionable.
Good, you swapped it for a keg..!

Have fun and stay safe..
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

welcome to the forum. Good to see another Canuk. Im from central Saskatchewan
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hello, Dima.
Nice introduction!
Welcome.
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome from Alberta!
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Welcome fellow Canuck
Dima
Novice

Post by Dima »

Thanks for welcomes :) good to be here
Been busy reading forums.
Got a different boiler now, my own, 30 liter ss pot.
Built a new head also.
Finally got a 15 gallon beer keg now looking to use 3" pipe i got laying in my garage to build a flute :)
Im at 4 gen Sweet feed and 3rd gen UJSSM also 50 liter mash got birdwatcher and added sugar to my failed atempt at Carolina Bourbon... Also started frozen concentrate peach wine for my wife's birthday 15$ worth of ingredients should make me 23 liters of peach flavored wine.