Hey All!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

pjeterschornstein
Novice

Hey All!

Post by pjeterschornstein »

Hey all!

I'm fairly new to making alcohol. Started about two month a go just to learn how to make cheep booze for self consumption and for perhaps also for fuel.
ended up really getting into it and it looks like something I could dive in forever.
Made some ginger beer with wild grape yeast (extremely good). Some kilju (pretty disgusting and tomorrow I'll see if freeze distilling might improves it) , tapache (nice). I'm currently am building a still pot and I'm going to first try to distill some chip gin, and some wine.
Afterwards, I want to distill some sugar wash and some banana wine I'm currently making.
I really would like to make some moonshine and hopefully to make my own oak chips and age it but It'll take time. Haven't bought enzyme yet to brew grains and I think I need to pace myself a bit and get some more constant achievements.
So far mostly been busy in making myself a nice DIY setup and I'm feeling more relaxed to be writing here.

Anyway, I'm really happy I've found this place, I already used a lot of the knowledge here and I am hoping to share some of my experiments in the future.

:)
papstoker
Novice

Re: Hey All!

Post by papstoker »

Welcome! Hope you enjoy

Where are you from! What is tapache and Kilju and chip gin?

Sounds like you have the bug. There is just so much to play with and you want to try it all at once. I have been stilling for a year and have done about 30 ferments and have a long way to go myself.

Have fun and read a lot!

Pieter
Never trust a man who don't drink
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Glad you joined and are having some success.
Things can only get better.
Welcome.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Where are the days that you had to go out, ride a distance on your bike (preferrably in bad weather) go to a library, browse the index and still did not find what you were looking for. So you had to go back home and the weather stilla was as bad as before! Where are these days?
I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf95Amqi0vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
when looking for kilju.
But tapacha seems to be not valid.

Welcome, clearly you bring us new things to learn! That is always nice!
pjeterschornstein
Novice

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I'm from Berlin. Most definitely got the bug :)
Tapache is fermented pineapple drink with wild yeast, though I also made it with wine yeast.
Kilju is Norwegian traditional drink but it's basically a sugar wash. I still haven't got the hydrometer I've ordered so I'm not sure about the abv but it's pretty strong.
I used cold distillation and it worked out nicely. Pretty thick and sweet but it hammered me really good (first time drunk on my booze yey!)

Kind of fucked things up earlier today: I'm building a pot still so I've ordered 5 meter 1.5cm copper pipe. The pic on the website show a roll but the delivery guy came with a 5 meter pole..(couldn't find rolls in any of the shops in Berlin) I had to put it through the window and it fits exactly from one end of my room to the other.
was banding it all day to make a coil. was really rough and now after hours of patient work it's still just full of dents...
I am not sure if it worth using or maybe I should buy another one and loop it outside in a proper way.
Couldn't find and info about it but I thought I'll ask it here and maybe in another massage board since I was planning to work on it today.

What do you think- should I sell it in the scrap yard and try again?
starship
Novice

Post by starship »

Hello, I'm not one to give up easily once I've started a project. Is it possible to get something like a one inch pipe inside the roll?
The reason being that might give you something on the inside to help work out the dents and wrinkles. Does it have to be so long?
Seems like it would be easier to work with if were shorter. At any rate you should be able to work out many of the
dents with heating them wile working them.
pjeterschornstein
Novice

Thanks starship! you're right, I'll try to repair it for now. A real high intensity workout this one.. :)