Hello from the Pacific Northwest

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Just someguy
Novice

Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Post by Just someguy »

Hello, I’m a huge zymurgy enthusiast. In my old life (before kids) I got through engineering school by applying the principles of what I was learning both in the field and through texts to my nano brewery. I built up a full electric brewery which took over a garage. During those times someone told me about absinthe. It was still illegal and I concluded that if I really wanted to taste it, i needed to make it. I came across this forum then and built up a one gallon pot with a small 1/4 in arm, purchased herbs from Wild Rose Herbs and macerated some store bought grain spirit by following blend of traditional recipes from the 1800s scaled down for 3L. I had a lot of fun and also tried my hand on rum, still have that dunder in the garage, but hated the time it took through such a small pipe. I realised that this wasn't going to work without scaling and at that time wasn't interested in doing so without my own place. Roommates are safer to trust with knowledge of a brewery.

Now that I have moved on, I have had to let go of all the brewery as it take up too much space. This however has left me unable to ferment anything in a long while, and I realized something was missing in my life. I started to muse again over the idea of this craft when I came across a video of Clawhammer supply DIY 5gal kit. It got me thinking, I have known some appartment guys in the past and am aware how little space this takes up compared to a full scale brewery. They were able to fit everything into a closet. Plus I have a real job so the initial hurdle of cost is less of a deal then it was back in my poor college days.

I drew up some plans and began modifying the Clawhammer design to also have tri clamp fittings, element ports, and methods that make it store better. I ran some numbers and realized my cost and time was at the point of just buying one. Then I cross referenced this plan with this great knowledge base here and sure enough the consensus I got was go a bit bigger than you think, it's always easier to run less then more when speaking about capacity limits, and a pot still is the better for the start… and I like real rum.

So now I’m looking at the 16 gal, 3 inch from Mile Hi as a simple all SS pot still which comes with all the ports that i need and, from what I hear, really nice wields. Something that I just don't have time to learn at this time. I have compared his boiler to a lot of others and like the tri clamp ports. There is also the added potential that it has to upgrade to VM or Plates in the future if I ever want to go that route.

My biggest realization is that since this isn't a brewery I can use two elements powered from two different circuits in my home without having to modify the structure electric. Keeping everything portable and storable is a hard design constraint for me.

I’ve got a BOM laid out of what I need for an electric panel, element setup and most importantly, have the Mrs. on board.

After I read through all the startup material primers, rules, safety, mistakes, ect. that you all have been put together, I decided to sign up since I realize that I’m probably here to stay.

I must say, a really big help indeed. Makes me feel like I’m prepared to get working on this hobby/craft.

Thank you!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Post by Still Life »

Well the bad news is that since you got out of it, all distilling is now done with USB ports and lasers.
Kidding. :ebiggrin:
Sounds like you have a good mind for this hobby and have done your homework.

C'mon in and have fun. Welcome.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

Still Life wrote:Well the bad news is that since you got out of it, all distilling is now done with USB ports and lasers.
Kidding. :ebiggrin:
Sounds like you have a good mind for this hobby and have done your homework.

C'mon in and have fun. Welcome.
man that was a good one :lol: welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Welcome!
You will find there are a lot of us in the PNW.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Just someguy
Novice

Post by Just someguy »

Wow really in the PNW? I can't tell. I guess it figures for it seems that intoxicants help with all the rain. Wish that legal bill would pass. Then we could share like home Brewers do.

Sent from mobile
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Welcome,
Like Nerdy said, lots of people here from the PNW. :wave:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »