Hello from Belgium

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Taxy
Novice

Hello from Belgium

Post by Taxy »

A newbie here in the distiller's trade.

I have been reading this forum for the last two weeks and I already learned a ton about this new and exciting hobby.

I started my first brews about ten days ago (three 25l birdwatcher's sugerwashes) and they are almost done. As I am a whisky lover, I will probably take the all grain path at some point but I preferred to start with something with less variables.

I did a vinegar run on a T500 this afternoon. Already got a bit wiser: acetic acid apparently has a higher boiling point than water so I was essentially distilling water and leaving a vinegar concentrate behind. It sure cleaned out old scale stains in a toilet bowl very well.

I am really looking forward to my very first run in the coming week. Should I do a sacrificial run or do the vinegar run and the subsequent cleaning suffice?

Challenges with the hobby identified so far: (i) patience 'when will the brew get dry?', (ii) time 'when do I get to spend a couple of hours distilling?', (iii) keeping the misses happy 'with all that mess'.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Re: Hello from Belgium

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome to the forums!
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hello, Taxy.
Yes, do a sacrificial alcohol run after your vinegar/water cleaning. This ensures a clean still.
Don't sample that sacrificial though!

Check out our Tried & True Recipes.

A great whiskey after 6 months (or more) in a barrel is Odin's Cornflake (in my signature below).
Wowed everyone with it on a recent camping trip. Folks couldn't believe there was no grain in it.

Have fun!
Welcome.
Taxy
Novice

Post by Taxy »

Thanks SL for Odin's Cornflake tip. It sounds like a good stepping stone to an AG.

It's gonna be real hard not to sample any of the sacrificial run distillate. Will need to follow it up quickly with a real first run.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Taxy wrote:
It's gonna be real hard not to sample any of the sacrificial run distillate. Will need to follow it up quickly with a real first run.
No rules against smelling it, putting your eye ball near the opening of the glass it's in, and most importantly, rubbing it between your fingers and listening to it. . These three things will teach you how to cut liquor before you ever taste it. Honestly, I already know what's in a glass before it hits my tounge. You'll see what I mean.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."