Hi from Fawlty Towers Kent

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

robint
Novice

Hi from Fawlty Towers Kent

Post by robint »

:D Ive done some brewing in my younger days, Ale, country wines but never venture into distilling, but things seem more relaxed about distilling cos we've got a drugs epidemic to keep the plod busy, so long as you are not selling :oops:

I spent many years in Saudi up till 9/11 when it stopped being a fun place after that. I had many pals who ran stills, some were very sophisticated reflux columns made by chemical engineers. I would buy my supply in a 5 gal water flagon 98% abv, imagine driving around with a bomb like that in your car boot - those were the days. When cut 50:50 a litre bottle worked out at £3.50 - like for nothing, those were the days

Question comes to mind having browsed many posts, it concerns fusil oils. This topic doesnt seem to arouse
much concern among brewer here?

In theory this should never become part of the hearts in a properly managed run :?:

The hooch in KSA was called "sid" from arabic "siddiqui" meaning friend. Sid had a noticeable trace of fusils. You could detect this using the flaming spoon mehtod and seeing the yellowing flame towards the end and also any ash left over
Fusils were a nuisance because they left a smell on your breath - sort of nasty aniseed, and also your skin smelt of the stuff the next day - not good for the office environment

I was told it was part of the spirit run. In those days we didnt have internet in KSA

It seems that long term siddleys had an addiction to this flavour and would even drink it neat 98%abv. Some guys even smuggled bottled out when going home on leave (bomb on a plane??????????

I concluded later that this contamination must have been deliberate cos thats what customers wanted

Is there some known addictive quality to fusils :moresarcasm:
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi from Fawlty Towers Kent

Post by Still Life »

Hello to you, robint.
Interesting introduction & interesting life you lead.

You may have to move your question to the proper body of the forum
as we like to keep The Welcome Center to introductions.

I'm not an expert on fusils, regardless.
Let's just say most distillations are cut to get rid of the worst of the fusils, and the clarity of the distillate and heartful flavor is proof of that. (Pun intended)
Others can engage you with the subject better than I, though.

Enjoy your stay with HD, and Welcome to you.
robint
Novice

Post by robint »

Hi SL would be glad to relocute my dyspeptic peroration to wherever your emminence may so advise, with 20,000+ cogeners on this board, gotta be doin sum't right.

great fan of Deadwood and Calamity (hot stuff ) Jane

Bubba
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

welcome !
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Hi Robint! Great to have you on board.

No idea about your question, although I do remember a comment on a thread long ago about someone making moonshine in the states, when he gave some to a 'good ole boy' he received poor feedback, next time he gave the same guy a jar of heads and got the big thumbs up. Apparently without the burn it just didn't taste right. Guess it's what you're used to in the long run.

Anyway, welcome :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!