Greetings from the UK

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

thomasario
Novice

Greetings from the UK

Post by thomasario »

Hello all.

Thought I’d introduce myself. I’m Tom from the UK and I’ve suddenly discovered the amazing world of distilling.

I’m a complete novice. I have never brewed or distilled in my life.

But, over the space of the last few weeks I have become borderline obsessive on the idea of a micro-distillery project. (In my defence I have run a relatively successful business for a few years – nothing in any way connected to brewing – but I do at least have a good grounding in the realities of business – so I’m trying to temper my naïve enthusiasm with at least a hint of realism.)

Gin is the preferred option. (And yes I know before I could even start thinking seriously about this in the UK, or even re-distilling a drop for that matter I’d need a rectifier license, but this is the early, early planning stage.)

This being the case I fear I am going to be bombarding you folks with stupid questions – so apologies in advance. I will of course check previous posts before wasting your time though!

I’m particularly interested in the vacuum distillation process so that will doubtless be my first topic of questions.

I’m looking forward to getting involved with the forum – and thanks in advance for any help. I'm pretty encouraged that plenty of past searches have already brought me this way a few times over the past few weeks so I’m hopeful of some great wisdom. Even if it is simply “don’t waste your time”

Cheers, Tom :)
You may need to tell me twice. My concentration levels are . . . oh look, a squirrel.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Re: Greetings from the UK

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Welcome
Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg
Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 839 times
I AM a noob :mrgreen:
Strictly constructive:
READ! starting with the homesite and "spoonfed"
Find a Tried & True Recipe & obsess.

If you read a post of interest, go back and read subject from the beginning. You'll end up glossing over a lot of small replies but it really clues you in to the thought process.

I don't know enough to speak with ANY authority, but I am also interested in Gin, and it APPEARS to be about the toughest to get right.
Cheers!
:mrgreen:
thomasario
Novice

Post by thomasario »

Hi guys - good to hear from you :)
You may need to tell me twice. My concentration levels are . . . oh look, a squirrel.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hi, Tom.
Amazing world it is, alright.
Have fun & good luck. Welcome.

Here's a SpoonFeeding link for you.
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome!
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Welcome Tom. Great to have you here. Even if you are thinking of bringing yet another new gin to already saturated market.

Check out: Sacred Gin, 58 Gin, Shed One gin, for some inspiration on very small craft gin distilleries.

And best of luck to you!
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!