Hello from West Coast of Canada

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

saberx
Novice

Hello from West Coast of Canada

Post by saberx »

Hi Everyone,

I am totally new to home distilling and look forward to learning about it.

I have been making wine with my father since i was a child. We have always made wine from grapes and never from concentrate so I can really appreciate the work involved in making a good product. We were and still are firm believers in an all natural product without the use of sugars, yeasts or preservatives. Haven't had a bad batch of wine yet. Unfortunately, for as many years, we have been discarding of all the grape leftovers and had always heard that they could be used to make spirits. So, after making a large batch of wine this years I am left with a lot of skins and mash and thought I would learn about distilling. No need to waste anything right? I also look forward to learning new recipes and techniques and learning how to "correctly" use yeast and sugar to create the perfect drink. Yes, I understand that some spirits may require sugar or yeasts. Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks again for having me. :D
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello from West Coast of Canada

Post by Bushman »

Welcome from a member from the west coast of Washington State. You can make some pretty nice drinks from the skins of fruit. Enjoy the journey.
saberx
Novice

Post by saberx »

Thank you. Looking forward to it.

May be getting a quantity of pears soon. Will need to look for some good recipes maybe a nice brandy, etc. I'm not really sure what can be done with pears.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hello, saberx.
Here's some info on pears.

You can use HD Google Search (as I just did) at top of page.
Open it. Leave a space after the URL. Type in a phrase or word ('pears', for example).

Good luck and have fun.
Welcome.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Saberx said,' We were and still are firm believers in an all natural product without the use of sugars, yeasts or preservatives.'

Welcome.

Don't forget that sugar is natural. And if you ferment without ADDED yeast, that fermentation is still promoted by YEASTS. Has to be or it is not fermentation. Maybe you take advantage of the natural yeasts in the air.... I have done that myself when fermenting fruit.

'Skins and mash', look up 'grappa'.

Geoff
The Baker
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome from Alberta!
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor