Hello from the South West (US) - Thalley

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Thalley
Novice

Hello from the South West (US) - Thalley

Post by Thalley »

Hi there,

I hate these introduction things so I'll jump right into it.

I'm new to distilling and have never brewed beer before though I've read up on brewing quite a bit. I like to read and research, It's a double edged sword really.. Sometimes a curse. I bring up beer because I'm interested in AG after a screw up a few sugar washes and get running a pot and reflux still down.

I've acquired some supplies already that I'll list below. I'm sure I'll have questions and someone will undoubtedly be looking for this post.

The goods:
- 8 gallon (30 L) 2 Inch 4 in 1 (CM)
- Sight glass, because I'm curious
- 2000 watt controller and element
- Copper mesh / Rings
- 530 Gph (2,000 LPH) pump
- Manifold with bypass still needs to be created
- 70 quart (66 L) cooler
- I'll modify this some for hoses
- Keggle (bought for brewing beer)
- Manual and digital PH tester (From hydroponics)
- Alcoholmeter
- Hydrometer
- 8 gallon (30 L) fermentation buckets
- Fermentation heating pads. I'll probably share one pad for two buckets. Tested and keeps water around 74 F (23 C)
- Carbon filtering
- Carboy mixing paddle for drill and spoon
- Star San
- Spray bottles
- Funnels
- Jars (both small and large)
- Notebook
- This forum (spoon feeding, etc)

I look forward to meeting you good folks and continuing to absorb the years of knowledge here.

Kind regards,
-Thalley

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Hello from theSouth West (US) - Thalley

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Greetings Thalley...Welcome aboard...do the necessary reading - like Crankies spoon feeding etc...I like the idea of homebrewing as a "cloaking Device" to hide what we're doing from the Men in Black :idea: Everything you use in the hobby also has a use in brewing...Good luck, Kiwi
Getting hung up all day on smiles
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

For hating introductions, you did a great job. I'm Joe Newguy myself but will warn if you're having sugar wash fails, an all grain might just be tougher. Was for me anyway.
That said, welcome to Home Distiller!
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
manudistiller
Novice

Post by manudistiller »

howdy, I have brewed quite a lot of beer, Not down much with grain and you can buy a pre grain kit nowadays which saves a lot of work. I recently converted a failed beer batch and turned it into a high yield wort of which i will now try to still it. Havnt used my new still and i hope to get something out of it. As far beer goes, You should start with a basic kit and filtered water really improves the wort. There are many kits and larger is the easiest to make. In Canada beer wine and spirits are heavily taxed and its worth making your own.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Kits and cans of malt extract have definite advantages for the beginner...not as cheap as AG or a simple sugar wash...but they are very good learning step to the Nubee...with the added advantage of early success...and as I get old and lazy, a batch of wash from a pail of malt seems to me to be the better way to go...I'd rather be drinking than mashing. What I should have done, when I was young and fit, was hoard 1/2 of what I'd stilled and now I'd be sitting on some fine 20 to 25 year old. But I was into 4 oz curls...with a little ice, and although the dream didn't evaporate, it still disappeared ! :lolno:
Getting hung up all day on smiles