Skål from Norway :)

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Coyotey
Novice

Skål from Norway :)

Post by Coyotey »

Hello from Norway, the land of "heimbrent" (home-burned). That just didn't sound right in English did it?!

I've been lurking here for a good while and have enjoyed a great start to my soon to be favorite pastime while the snow piles up outside. What a great group of knowledgeable misfits I seem to have stumbled onto:)

Fortunately early on I sumbled onto Cranky's spoonfeeding post and followed the advice of reading and researching until my eyes bleed! Great advice! I get it...and I understand the veterans' frustration concerning the dangers and futility of not accumulating knowledge before asking informed and intelligent questions.

I am thoroughly impressed by the dedication (most) of you apply to your craft and the intelligent reasoning you use to further the collective wisdom of this forum.

Enough philosophizing...I'm drawn towards building a copper (partly modular) CM 2" column. Based on my readings I have completed the second draft of my drawing which I soon look forward to posting to get some opinions. I'll be posting some questions on "Column Builds" soon!

So hello for now!

Skål (Cheers)!
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is the noblest; Second, by imitation, which is the easiest; and Third, by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Re: Skål from Norway :)

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome. no misfits here. lol, just enlightened souls. glad to have you.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Welcome, and good luck on your journey.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Have you looked into the ACME brand rocket propelled all copper DIY likker factory?

welcome in.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome and Skol. We just returned from Norway as my wife's father was conceived in Norway. Her cousins are from Stjordal and outside Oslo.
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Thanks a lot guys, nice to be here!

HDNB: All too often I,m afraid but have become wary of the long drop and the distant "poof" at the bottom of the canyon! Better to bounce my ideas off you guys before I strap myself in next time !!

BUSHMAN: Wow, the world is certainly not big! You passed right through here! I'm not too far off from where you mentioned. Just south of Oslo. Did you get to sample any "heimbrent"?
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is the noblest; Second, by imitation, which is the easiest; and Third, by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

welcome in fella
Don't be a dick
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Coyotey wrote: BUSHMAN: Wow, the world is certainly not big! You passed right through here! I'm not too far off from where you mentioned. Just south of Oslo. Did you get to sample any "heimbrent"?
Love Norway, have you ever gone above the Arctic Circle on the steamer Hurtzgruten? They live just outside Drummen.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

One of my sisters lives near or in Oslo. She and her wife are teachers at a Norwegian school.

I will ask her about heimbrent, when we see each other again.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

My brother's ex-wife ran off to a guy in Norway. You don't know her, do you?

Otherwise, welcome!
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Kareltje wrote:One of my sisters lives near or in Oslo. She and her wife are teachers at a Norwegian school.

I will ask her about heimbrent, when we see each other again.
The topic will bring forth a smile from even the most conservative Norwegian! Distilling is deeply embedded into the Norwegian culture, and even though it is strictly illegal, it is (per capita) more widespread here than in the rest of Europe (where it is legal in most places).
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Love Norway, have you ever gone above the Arctic Circle on the steamer Hurtzgruten? They live just outside Drummen.[/quote][/quote]

What can I say it's magic here. No never by Hurtigruten but my son and I took a motorcycle trip up to North Cape a couple of summers ago. Definately one of the world's top 10 roads to travel on!
I live 30 minutes from Drammen!
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Swedish Pride wrote:welcome in fella
Thanks Swedish...you from these neck of the woods?
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Still Life wrote:Welcome, and good luck on your journey.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I looked it up: heimbrent.
Got, among others, this page:
https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjemmebrent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Nice jokes!

Is this: https://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1373618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow some kind of forum in norsk?
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Kareltje wrote:
Is this: https://www.diskusjon.no/index.php?showtopic=1373618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow some kind of forum in norsk?
Yes it is! Doesn't seem as involved as this one however....
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Kareltje wrote:I looked it up: heimbrent.
Got, among others, this page:
https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hjemmebrent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Nice jokes!
Hehe... "see that big building with the tower"? "You mean the church"? "Yes, that's the only place you can't buy heimbrent"!

Priceless (and about the size of it in many place up north)!
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Da er vi i alle fall to!

Hei sveis fra Vestfold.
Always impatient. But learning.