Greetings from Cairns Australia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tropic
Novice

Greetings from Cairns Australia

Post by Tropic »

Greetings!
I've been using an Essencia Super Reflux (yep, that dinky little still) for quite a few years without really knowing how it worked or the proper way to drive it. I knew to throw out the first 100ml and keep the temperature around 80 degrees but after that, not much else. I ended up with a fairly pungent unpleasant un-neutral which is ok for rum but not much else. A friend of mine is a stainless steel fabricator and said he'd help out with making a still. He has a very impressive one.
So I've been trawling through here and assessing how stills work and the various designs. Just call me John Snow because I knew nothing. But now I know enough to be dangerous and want to do and want to do it better and freakier. I'm looking forward to experimenting with cooling, plates, packing, head design and electronic automation.
Be scared for I am here!
Rohan
thecroweater
retired

Re: Greetings from Cairns Australia

Post by thecroweater »

Welcome Rohan, there are a few guys here from your neck of the woods :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

gday old mate
just down the road, send me a private message and maybe you can come and get some ideas from my set up!
cheers!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

I misspent some of my youth around your way. I wish I'd known as much about stilling when working in the mills as I do now :D
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome, seems like an pretty good friend to help you out making a stainless still!
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Tropic
Novice

Post by Tropic »

Thanks All for the welcome,
I'm leaning towards a liquid management system similar to a Boka in concept but with an outlet pipe below the condenser to make it dual purpose if I want to give vapour management a go. I'm also thinking of having a 1.4m column that can come apart and then just attach the head onto the boiler as a pot still.
Eventually I'd like to give gin a go, making a perfect neutral with the column then adding a gin basket to the vapour port running it as a pot still as a second run.
I'll scooch over to the column build forum to bounce a few design ideas. Hopefully you experienced builders will stop me from doing anything too stupid!
Ro
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Yep I use to have a column extent ion for a pot or Ultra Pure™ still they would be easy to make.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Welcome, Tropic.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Welcome tropic
If you can catch up with Kimbodious , he'd help you heaps . Knows his onions :thumbup:
sugar glut
Novice

Post by sugar glut »

Tropic wrote:Greetings!
I've been using an Essencia Super Reflux ...
I am in arch rival Townsville.

CLean the column and packing regularly. It's one the hassals of owning a reflux job. I ended up selling my T500 and made a high-neck pot, just like the Scottish stills. No need to mother it during runs, either.
Water is the only drink for a wise man. -- Henry Thoreau.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause & reflect. -- Mark Twain.