Hello from Melbourne, Australia

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

lionfish
Novice

Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Post by lionfish »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum. I have learnt so much and have already made lots of mistakes. I have spent four months reading and learning before venturing into my own attempt at home.

I was very nervous on the first run. But it turned out really well - except perhaps turning on the garden hose too high and flooding the back deck...

My background is many years of brewing ginger beer, so fermenting and creating a very drinkable product has probably helped me with a good run into this hobby - well, the first part at least.

I'm using a converted 10 litre boiler to distill. Small, but works okay for today. Father in law helped with the welding and pimping.

I started with a TPW wash with a wine yeast. I did four runs through that which turned out well. Collected to around 50% on the pot still.

I've now done four ferments - now using bakers yeast - and around 16 runs.

Ever more confident I've now done an Odin Cornflake whisky which is now sitting on oak chips aging nicely. What a lovely drink only 10 days in.

I've also made two batches of Odin's gin. I can't believe how good this gin is. I've already embellished it with a few extra flavouring to suit my taste - namely cardomon and liquorise root.

Then, brimming with more confidence, I've make a mulberry pantry dropper - using fruit off the tree outside my kitchen.

None if this would have been possible without the knowledge and giving of the locals on this forum.

A big thank you - the new hobby has been more fulfilling and exciting than I ever imagined.

I feel like part scientist, part master blender. I feel more creative than I've ever felt before...and I'm just beginning.

It has been a long time coming, but worth the late night's reading and learning.

And to the person on the forum that mentioned to take detailed notes on each run, thank you. That has proven to be the best advice so far.

EH
Last edited by lionfish on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Post by Still Life »

Oh, yeah, brother that Odin's Cornflake is friggin' excellent fresh off the pipe.
Glad you're doing some Tried & True Recipes here, as your success is then all but guaranteed.
Wait'll you put that Cornflake on oak for 6-months or a year. You'll have people flipping out when you tell 'em it's from cornflakes!

I just ordered the Juniper & Coriander yesterday to make my first Odin's Gin. Glad to hear your endorsement of that.

Sounds like all is well for you. Keep up the diligence, and Welcome to you.
Have fun!
lionfish
Novice

Post by lionfish »

Thank you Still Life. A lovely warm welcome.

Say, you will love the gin. The first 50-70mls is a lot of juniper berry oil so collect separately!

I love the stuff, but she's very strong!

:>
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Welcome here lionfish, how's the wind and rain treating you so far, supposedly flood warning through here down to Melbourne.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Welcome in lionfish.glad you are off to a good start already.
Have fun
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
lionfish
Novice

Post by lionfish »

Thank you thecroweater. Lots of wind and rain. Flooding everywhere but nothing too bad yet. Perhaps after another two day's of rain it may change.

Thanks Jbt. A good start for sure. Probably means I"m closer to my next error!
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, drop us pic
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

lionfish wrote: Probably means I"m closer to my next error!
Don't forget the golden rule,the distiller drinks all mistakes!
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!