Hello new guy from Cincinnati

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Electrotech
Novice

Hello new guy from Cincinnati

Post by Electrotech »

Hello,

Just making introductions. A buddy of mine and I had the idea that we were gonna try and get into distilling and make a home made still. Been doing some research over the weekend and put together a parts list of things we need to aquire. Figured I’d join here since a lot of the info I came across was on this forum and if I had any questions you guys probably know the right answers.

Guess I’ll throw out my plans so far. I have a Very basic setup in mind from what I’ve seen on here. I have a 30 quart stainless turkey fryer pot that will be the base of the still. I’ll drill out the handle Rivera ya and plug holes with stainless bolts, washers and ptfe tape. Going to get a 8 quart stainless mixing bowl turned upside down sealed to the pot with a cardboard and ptfe tape gasket and some metal spring clamps. Then drill the bottom of the mixing bowl for 1/2 copper fittings to connect to 1/4 inch copper tubing. Run the tubing up and over to a worm in a 5 gallon bucket filled with ice water.

That’s about the extent of the idea. My buddy wants to use the propane burner that came with the fryer and still outside. However it’s getting cold out here and I want to pick up a induction cooktop and brew in the house. He’s worried if we have leaks having the alcohol vapor in the house.

One other thing I’m considering making a condenser pipe off the top with running water then over to the worm or is the worm enough cooling?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Hello new guy from Cincinnati

Post by acfixer69 »

First Welcome to HD . Save the questions till after you do the basics and get familiar with distilling. Welcome Center is for intro so tell us about yourself.

AC
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Electrotech
Novice

Post by Electrotech »

acfixer69 wrote:First Welcome to HD . Save the questions till after you do the basics and get familiar with distilling. Welcome Center is for intro so tell us about yourself.

AC
Ok thanks
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

welcome fellow Noob.
Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg
Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 727 times
:mrgreen:
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

welcome..check that pot to make sure its actually stainless.
also..ask the guys on here about using .25 tubing for a worm. I believe it is too small. But I don't use one so can give you accurate advise.
Od1tspyd3r
Bootlegger

Post by Od1tspyd3r »

Welcome and the nati is cold as shit right now. Been doing this for a bit and my 2¢ is don't use .25 shoot for .5 or 5/8 od in the long run a bigger condenser will pay off. As far as the induction top run time will become a problem unless you a lot if time to kill. Try to go down the road of an heater element through the side of the pot. Every one has an opinion and at the end if the day your solution will depend on you Fab skill and $. So imo take your time and READ till your eyes bleed...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk