Long winters means much time

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jabman
Novice

Long winters means much time

Post by Jabman »

Greetings everyone. Here have long winters and much time during, then so why not make some moonshine. Just new to this and highly illegal here. Booze is also expensive, but like to drink so what I can do? Just ordered my first still set and minute ago I put sugar mash bubble in.
Jabman
Novice

Re: Long winters means much time

Post by Jabman »

Oh, and I like neutral spirits, but limitations my coming equipment, I dont know is it possible. Chinese made 10 lit (2.6gal) pot still. So my first run, I try to make sugar mash under 10% ABV (8%). Hope yeast not give much side flavors to this.
pot.png
Total volume is around 16-17 litres
sugar 2kg
dextrose 0,3kg
bread yeast 11g (dry)

I started to mix yeast with dextrose, cool water. Why I use dextrose is to start ferment soon as possible. Wait those like 30 minutes, mean while mix sugar on hot water (2 liters), then put cool water on and mix those together. This today. Lets see what coming.

Rum is also one I like, but let see how this start. Love to test full dextrose (sugar) soon, but now normal sugar and how it taste. It just sugar here 3kg like $3 and same amount dextrose $10-14
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome.
Check out the tried and true recipe section there are some great sugar washes in there to try.
Birdwaterchers and Rads All-Bran are two that I have used are easy and work well.
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

Welcome. If you have not researched cleaning a still do it now. Hate to see you have to dump your first spirit run.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Welcome
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, post your still pick on the link below.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

First welcome. Second if.you can cancel your order it would be in your beat interest. That equipment is not only poorly designed but not safe either.

A few days reading and you will begin to.understand why I've suggested that you cancel your order.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome to HD..

This is the welcome section and you should tell use more about yourself.. you should start a new post under novice section for your still and wash questions or statements.. your wash is questionable if it will work out..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Coyotey
Novice

Post by Coyotey »

Welcome!

You definately came to the right place to kick off your new hobby!
I started not too long ago myself. I highly recommend reading Cranky's spoonfeeding post. When you're done reading that just keep on reading until your eyes pop!

I'm sure before long you'll be posting in the "Constructions" page!

I second what Yakattack said!

Enjoy, and be safe!

Skål!
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is the noblest; Second, by imitation, which is the easiest; and Third, by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius