Hello From FL

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Hello From FL

Post by FL Brewer »

Hi gang, I've been a lurker and voracious consumer of all the great knowledge here for several years. I've been a beer brewer (extract and all grain) for 25 years, and as my taste for good whiskey developed, I thought I would like to try making some. I'm a reasonably capable handyman, certainly not a craftsman, but not all thumbs either. I'm an engineer, so I love to research, analyze, experiment.... distilling has so many pieces to understand, it's a very attractive challenge. I'm comfortable with mashing and fermenting, so I guess I had a head start into the hobby.

I've been running bourbon style whiskey and I think I've learned about 30% of what I know about distilling by doing it, and the other 70% from this site..... that would've been more like a 10/90 split if I read more earlier..... I usually mash about 20 lbs of grain (10 lbs of corn, 3-4 rye, and 6-7 two row malted barley, and add 10 lbs of sugar after the fermentation slows after a couple days. I've finally gotten to where my friends and I think my bourbon is up to the mid priced store bought whiskey quality. I may finally be at the point where I might be able to share the odd, small useful bit of my experience with the group so I joined up.

I made a short copper column (about 30 inches) that I run without packing for beer stripping and with ceramic ring packing for the final run. I have an 11 gal milk can for a boiler. I know the whiskey purists frown on a reflux run, but it's a little easier for me to judge the cuts, they seem to happen quicker (compared to my first couple batches I ran without the packing), so I notice the change before I've missed the optimum cut point. I age in 1 gal glass jugs with charred pieces of a Jack Daniels barrel I picked up at Lowe's. The last batch that turned our real well was on wood for 30 weeks, stress aged, two gallon jugs swapped in and out of the freezer almost every day.
brew hardware.jpg
I look forward to continuing to drink at the well of knowledge of this site, especially while drinking a nice glass of homebrew bourbon. Hope I didn't bore you with too many details.

FL Brewer
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Re: Hello From FL

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome! Looking good!
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Thanks Dantuss, yours too..... like I said, I'm not a craftsman, so the pick is low res.... ain't pretty, but it doesn't leak. And of course, it wouldn't be a proper hillbilly contraption without the duct tape holding the insulation in place. :lol:
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Welcome ! There's a lot of us here from Florida
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome FL Brewer looking at the pic is that hose making the bend at the end of the condenser?

AC
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Welcome
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

acfixer69, yes that's piece of silicone hose exiting the condenser making the bend. The material datasheets I've read show that it's impervious to ethanol, at least near room temperature. I don't have any silicone in the hot vapor path (which a bunch of posts I've read here say is a no-no).

Do you think it's an issue for room temp/warm distillate?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Absolutely a problem. Rule 8 not debate

AC
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Hmm, OK will abide by rule 8, and look for an alternative solution.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, post a pick of your rig below, looks great
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917