Hello From Okanagan BC

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

MBJ
Novice

Hello From Okanagan BC

Post by MBJ »

Long time Lurker First Time Poster!

I have been playing away for a few years with a bunch of help from everyone on the site! Thank you.

I started by building my own still 5 yrs ago, Keg - Bokabob 2" column- propane heat. Ultimately for me, I was not comfortable with the rig I created and wanted something safer and electric.

I am currently playing with a Mile Hi 13 gallon " dual purpose" 3" column - cold finger. Pic attached (hopefully) I have completed all the cooling upgrades. I have also made my own heat controller, Thanks Cranky! I would like to add a digital display for the controller as it would help me understand where, and how things are happening.

I am a vodka guy so:

Things are a bit tougher for me to source in my area, and Canada in general, so I have ordered up a 36" copper blank extension from Mile Hi that will connect to the existing boiler. I am thinking of building another Boka off of it? Thoughts? Is there a better design I should pursue?

Also- I would like to Attach the new copper column to the existing Stainless 24" column to get more height and a better reflux, is there any issue combining the two materials?

Thank you everyone for your contributions, I hope to do my part as well.

Anyone in SouthernBC or close by let me know. I find it difficult for myself not having comparables to judge my product with. Also any tips with where you are getting the amylase - distillers yeast - other required additives please let me know.

Thanks Everyone!

To any new folks reading this looking for cheap booze - pay Mr Smirnoff - I could have bought many bottles with what i have invested and I still have much to learn and more to invest, but I like it!
Attachments
still small.JPG
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Hello From Okanagan BC

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome MBJ This is the welcome center Questions go in proper forums
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome from Alberta!
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MBJ
Novice

Post by MBJ »

Thanks AC and Dantuss

Noted. Once the new column comes in a new thread will be started!

MBJ
Just 4 Fun
Novice

Post by Just 4 Fun »

Sounds like you are well on yer way already, if yer more into vodka check out the tried and true recipes and look for birdwatchers. I’m in the okanagan too running a homemade milk can rig find it too small for what I’m doing.
Would be interested in buying your keg still if you want to sell it, just pm me.
Just because it's called a liver doesn't mean it lives forever.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, post your still in the link below. that way everyone can enjoy it too
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

Welcome.
You are in the heart of distillery country. For supplies, simply saunter down to Urban.
I started small and now mere months away from opening a craft establishment. It's an obsessive hobby if you're not careful!
Cheers.
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller