T500

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rolls912
Novice

T500

Post by Rolls912 »

Hello folks
T500 reflux and pot. Using for almost a year now. Still learning heaps.

Making reasonable (drinkable) gin is reasonably straight forward. Making super pure tasting base sprit is damn difficult.The holy grail :!:

After a year of mucking around and reading lots of great posts about the T500 I’ve gleaned a few things....
- Use the pot still for the first strip as it’s quick and easier to clean
- Clean the reflux saddles before running the third and final strip (vinegar and salt)
- add a touch of salt on the First reflux run.
- turbo yeast is okay but there is better out there. Even classic is better.
- dextrose is worth the extra cost
- water controller is worth it as you can walk away for 30mins at a time if your not making a cutting run
- botanical basket that screws to the bottom of the reflux is excellent

Still not convinced about all the turbo carbon additives or the Ez carbon filter (which takes over a week to process). Any thoughts?

Cheers
Bushman
Admin

Re: T500

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, would be nice to hear a bit more about you and not the T500 in the welcome center!
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Rolls912
Novice

Post by Rolls912 »

Thanks Bushman.
Based in MELBOURNE, Australia.

I’ve done the home brew beer thing. Stills are more technical / challenging which appeals.

My teenage son finds it interesting as it relates to the science he is studying at school. Locking away the product in my cellar nevertheless. Not going to fall for the old “fill me up with water” trick!
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

Welcome. Did I read correctly that you walk away from your still for 30 minutes and rely on a controller? Most here would not condone
leaving the still. Good thing Rad can longer post :shock:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As has been mentioned above the No 1 rule of safe distilling is that you never leave a still unattended.
Rolls912 wrote:not convinced about all the turbo carbon additives or the Ez carbon filter (which takes over a week to process). Any thoughts?
Be done with all of that costly rubbish and use a tried a true recipe from the forum, then make tight cuts and you wont need to filter.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hiya Rolls912, I'm new myself but recognize that you're exactly where I was.
You want a nice refluxed neutral? Birdwatcher's: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5018
No more turbo, additives, or clearing agents. And C H E A P

There are a few taboos here.
An unattended still is prohibited. Remember, we are guests here -not customers- so must abide by the host's rules.
That boiler is looking for a problem to cause and you need to be present if it acts up.
I even have a fire extinguisher handy.
Think of the safety of your house & family. <<<Rant done>>>

I'd like to welcome you to a safe and productive hobby. And an even safer and more productive forum.