My first runs with my huffing / puffing pot still

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

luchete80
Novice

My first runs with my huffing / puffing pot still

Post by luchete80 »

Hi to all!
First of all, i present myself, Lucho from Argentina and i LOVE whiskey.
Second, i want to thank every one of you the huge amount of information which you give for free.
I've been reading a lot the past months, and i'm actually begining to run my finished 2" pot still which i built in my workshop (and i'm begining to build a 4" flute, can´t contain myself jeje).
Is a modest 25 liter pot with 3600 watts max power, built from scratch. The stainles steel was welded with my homemade spot welder :D .
As far i've running a 20 liters AG wash (still learning with Jimbo Bourbon).

Is the 4th spirit run since it was built. For the 1st one i run it with a 1 1/4" lyne arm and 1/2" 5m copper worm (in the picture),
i've been modifying it, putting a thumper and finally using the same configuration as used for stripping (without lyne arm, and the double coil condenser).
With the double coil condenser the outlet is huffing (an interrupted stream), i think according to what i read is due to the lack of a thermal gradient in the condenser (cause of the double coil).

I'm a total novice in making cuts, so these is a briefs of my notes so far:

I've found that with the original Long 15mm dia Lyne Arm - Worm Condenser, the taste was really bad (burn really hard, i think very smeared, if i know what that is, for making worse i over oaked it)
Last configuration is 4,5 liters 33 % ABV low wines, run @1200 watts (i only can slow down to 600 watts but wasn't enough to run).
I removed the lyne arm and put the large condenser, not expecting much really. By far, is the best flavour i get, is better than the thumper(maybe the large diameters), and even more, is higher ABV (i get 70 from a 27% abv lw in the thumper previous run).

1 - 150 ml - 83% - Fores
2 - 150 ml - 82% - Heads (very sweet, i was expecting some harshness..)
3 - 150 ml - 81% - Heads (idem prev.)
4 - 150 ml - 79% - Hearts (stronger than heads, which were sweeter)
5 - 150 ml - 76.5 % Hearts (burns a little)
6 - 150 ml - 72% Hearts (it burns)
7 - 150 ml - 65% - Tails
8 - 150 ml - 41% - Tails
9 - 150 ml - 27% - Tails

These results really surprised me (i measured twice), i expected to obtain this flat and high curve with the thumper, one of the thing i dont get is why my hearts burns (maybe i run little fast?), while i blend some jars the result is good. And is ok the heads being so sweet?

For the next run i'm finishing a thumper ALL 2" diameter, and putting the pot head at the exit.

ABV and temp
ABV_temp.PNG
Output rate
output_rate.PNG
output_rate.PNG (13.71 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Current Run
Original Configuration
Original Configuration
Thumper Conf
Thumper Original Configuration
Thumper Original Configuration
Original Run with worm
Original Conf with worm
Original Conf with worm
Bushman
Admin

Re: My first runs with my huffing / puffing pot still

Post by Bushman »

We require all new members to make their first post in the welcome center and since the first part was an introduction I moved the post to the Welcome center and would like to welcome you, that is a lot of detail for a first post.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Hello luchete80, welcome.
Your post is a bit overwhelming with all the details, but I think we can exchange a lot of usefull information.
luchete80
Novice

Post by luchete80 »

Thank you guys! :D
Yes, i think i have a lot of things to learn, mainly regarding to making cuts. In the meantime, i'm finishing my 80 lts brewing pot in order to being able to cook 2 jimbo's recipe and to do a spirit run with more quantity.
I reread my post and you're right Kareltje, I will try to make my following posts more straightforward!!! :D
I will post new advances in the following runs!!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
Impressive ingenuity..The huffing and puffing from inefficiency..Without seeing the condenser interns, thinkn not enough, or properly placed coil, or not enough heat..Or aota.
Gonna take more heat for my preference tho..Alot of actual material to charge to temp..Also hope that's a blank support pipe soldered to both thump posts at top of thumper..No equilibrium there, in and out need to be seperate internally.
Love the angles and determined look..
Yes, I can tell you love likker.
Start a thread elsewhere and we'll desect and critique that lil machine proper.
Good luck, don't be a stranger. :D
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, toss your still pics below
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
luchete80
Novice

Post by luchete80 »

MoonBreath wrote:Welcome to HD!
Impressive ingenuity..The huffing and puffing from inefficiency..Without seeing the condenser interns, thinkn not enough, or properly placed coil, or not enough heat..Or aota.
Gonna take more heat for my preference tho..Alot of actual material to charge to temp..Also hope that's a blank support pipe soldered to both thump posts at top of thumper..No equilibrium there, in and out need to be seperate internally.
Love the angles and determined look..
Yes, I can tell you love likker.
Start a thread elsewhere and we'll desect and critique that lil machine proper.
Good luck, don't be a stranger. :D
Thanks MB! Thanks four your response! means a lot.
I think you're right, gonna start some thread!
I will also put some other pics of condenser arrangements, in order you to see it.

Thanks again!
luchete80
Novice

Post by luchete80 »

nuntius01 wrote:welcome, toss your still pics below
Added! :D