Greetings from NC

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

purp09
Novice

Greetings from NC

Post by purp09 »

Hi. :wave:
I've been a home brewer for about 20 years (love those IPAs) and finally decided to give distilling a try. My wife thinks I've been watching to much of that Moonshiners TV show. I've started out cheap by buying a water distiller which I want use for distilling alcohol. So far, I've found this web site a great resource to learn the process.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Re: Greetings from NC

Post by nuntius01 »

plenty to learn. welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Welcome aboard, 20 years of brewing will give you a leg up. Distilling is a little different animal we tend to do things dirty a fast.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

purp09 wrote: I've started out cheap by buying a water distiller which I want use for distilling alcohol.
Did you ever try taking the cheap way out when brewing beer ? how did the beer turn out ?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I'll say it:
Hiya purp09, there's some concern about a water distiller. They're just not made for high temp, high proof alcohol.
Saltbush Bill summed it up perfectly. You make great beer, but then want to go half-arsed on distilling?
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Welcome aboard, you've got some Carolina brethren around here....course I can't tell you who they are because secrets and all but you sure ain't alone over there.
btw, forget all about the tv show, won't be long before just hearing about it makes your blood boil.
Also probably won't be long before you feel the same way about water distillers ;)
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

There's a lot of us that secretly enjoy the show. BUT, pretty much nothing they do seems to reflect reality.
Stay safe, have fun, and welcome!