South African Craft

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Krokkie
Novice

South African Craft

Post by Krokkie »

Hi all! Im new ondistilling and need some advise!
Being South African in Cape Town, one thing you get easily is wine!
I have 400L of oxidized red wine still in vats which i would like to distil
In to a Gin like drink. Or even Brandy. Can any of you help me
With proses and gear needed. Indonhave a massive kettle!
Regards K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: South African Craft

Post by The Baker »

Krokkie, you said, 'Indonhave a massive kettle! '.

Did you maybe mean, 'I DON'T have a massive kettle?'

Geoff
The Baker
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome from Missouri, United States! We've had a few South African friends joining lately.
Sounds like a nice Brandy could be in your future. Here's a few threads on the subject. Maybe they'll help you: Distilling Wine
Krokkie
Novice

Post by Krokkie »

Yes do have a kettle!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Welcome!

How big is massive?
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

Welcome
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

So you have 400 l of red wine and do not know how to distill?
The best you can do is find someone who knows how to distill and agree to let hin do a loonstook: contractor distill. You give the wine, he does the distilling and you split the profit.
There are a few members from South-Africa on this forum and there is a SA forum: http://forum.distillique.co.za/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Tried to register on Distillique; but it was impossible.
Some of the questions that had to be answered were in a 'box' that was too small to allow the answers to be inserted.
And no contact information to tell them about it.
Doesn't matter anyway, I can read the forum, just not answer.
And a lot of it is in Afrikaans.

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Hi and welcome here.
For a brandy just a very simple pot still will be fine for double runs, for gin you would do well to further reflux it. Take a look around and you will soon find all you need to get it done :thumbup: .
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

thecroweater wrote:Hi and welcome here.
For a brandy just a very simple pot still will be fine for double runs, for gin you would do well to further reflux it. Take a look around and you will soon find all you need to get it done :thumbup: .
I guess you are too optimistic! New on distilling! So knowing nothing at all about heating a wine, catching the vapours and cooling them again. Let alone making cuts or weighing alcohol %%.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Kareltje wrote:
thecroweater wrote:Hi and welcome here.
I guess you are too optimistic! New on distilling! So knowing nothing at all about heating a wine, catching the vapours and cooling them again. Let alone making cuts or weighing alcohol %%.
And of course as you know Kareltje, all of that information is available here, in easy to find format, for free, for anyone. If you want to take on mentoring him be my guest and send him a pm.

Crows advice is spot on. We've all got to do our own research for this hobby.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Oh indeed, thecroweater's advice is spot on and all information is available.
But I remembered my own learning process and how much time it took. If you need to learn from scratch and need to build your still from scratch, the 400 liters oxidized wine will be evaporated in thin air, I guess. Or oxidized into vinegar.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

This is a welcome thread already vearing off topic through little fault of the original poster. @ Kareltje We have been trying to keep threads particularly welcome threads on topic, your cooperation with this would be just awesome. If Krokkie gets stuck on finding anything or has specific questions asked in novice distillers I'm sure there he will get all the advise he wants.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
papstoker
Novice

Post by papstoker »

Hi Krokkie.

Im from Johannesburg. Will be in CT next week. I can put you in contact with some home distillers in the Western Cape that migbt be able to help out. 400l of wine is a lot to do in a home still. My humble 20l potstill will have to be run 29 times - Just the gass bill is daunting.

Ket me kniw.

Pieter
Never trust a man who don't drink