New to making devils water!!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

666eyes
Novice

New to making devils water!!

Post by 666eyes »

Hi all, so 1st day after making a wash last night. Rewinding 4 weeks watching moonshiners I thought I’m going to give this a go.
So watching lots of vidios and reading websites.
I got my self a pot still with copper condenser.
Yesterday it all turned up and couldn’t resist making a wash! I’m expecting Iv done some silly mistakes but I presume that’s the game!
25l wash bucket
7kg sugar
Some cherry’s
Some raspberries
Yeast
Carbon clean
lid on
25 degrees immersion heater.
12 hours ago
Going to give gentle stir...
Got to make some thing right!!
A man’s got to brew what a man’s got to Brew!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New to making devils water!!

Post by fizzix »

Welcome!
Hang around 666eyes. Home Distiller here will shoot straight with you while a lot of those You Tube videos will lead you astray.
(I calculate 14% alcohol on your wash by the way.)
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

Hi fizzix , o really thanks for the heads up!
How did you get to 14%?
Is that good or bad?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

The parent site has calculators: top calculator here.

14% is considered high. Shoot for 6~8%. High alcohol volume stresses the yeast and can cause undesirable off-flavors.
It's all about Quality over quantity. Anyone can make crap. Just ask me how I know :oops: ...Home Distiller straightened my act out.
..and...
Read Read Read! You can do this! Check this out to get started.
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

Thanks buddy
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome. love to get a pic when you have it set up. don't forget to read. lots of great info here. also, don't forget your cleaning runs.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Exciting, your first mash!

When you succeed you expect to get a ticker to hell? That is where all the fun people go, so we will meat there, I suppose.
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

Ha ha yes!

I will post a pic once I’m set up I run a vinegar clean today( although maybe not necessary as I didn’t build my self) to get used to the process,
Already found a few problems with the cooling of the condenser, surprised how quickly the water heater up around it!!

I’m hoping my wash is ready next Friday or Saturday.
Do you think I should run a cheap alcohol run to get used to the run??
How long to u guys think 25l will take to distill?
If I want to double/triple distill do I just put back in the pot or wait a certain amount of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

That you did not build the still yourself is in itself no reason to think it is clean!
In a factory the environment is not always free of contaminants and when you got it from a colleague it might be old and left in bad circumstances. Better safe than sorry!
If you can get any alcohol that is cheaper than your mash you could run it first. Or else you take the first batch as a cleaning run.

How long it takes to run a 25 l wash depends on the still and the way you run it (or in fact how it runs you!). I can run a 60 l mash of ca 10 % in less time than a 9 l wash of 30 %, but in different stills.

About the planning NZChris has a smart system: you make the capacity of your fermenters 3 times the capacity of your still. Then you run 3 stripping runs so you have enough low wines for 1 spirit run.
But of course your logistics may be vary.

Edit By the way: on second reading I read the word devils as a plural and water as a verb. But I don't think you meant that. :mrgreen:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

666eyes wrote:
Do you think I should run a cheap alcohol run to get used to the run??
How long to u guys think 25l will take to distill?
If I want to double/triple distill do I just put back in the pot or wait a certain amount of time?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome Fellow N :mrgreen: :mrgreen: B!
As a noob, I THINK YOU SHOULD
Read through the appropriate pages (ie Distilling with a Pot Still, double distillation etc)
Read through Cranks Spoon Fed ( link is in my signature and EASY TO FIND around here!)
Learn how to shut off the Tapatalk footer. I'm techo-challenged so I just deleted the app and visit on my PC.

When your eyes begin to bleed, you will know you have a good start. You probably should also visit Tried & True Recipes and pick out on or more you find interesting. Much easier to follow recipe & method than "Moonshiners" which I never miss. But most of these recipes have been up 5 years or more and many many fellow hobbyists have tried and failed, then come back to succeed. There is not a question you will have that either hasn't already been answered or a helpful friend here can't help you solve.
Good Luck!
:mrgreen:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

666eyes wrote:Hi all, so 1st day after making a wash last night. Rewinding 4 weeks watching moonshiners I thought I’m going to give this a go.
So watching lots of vidios and reading websites.
I got my self a pot still with copper condenser.
Yesterday it all turned up and couldn’t resist making a wash! I’m expecting Iv done some silly mistakes but I presume that’s the game!
25l wash bucket
7kg sugar
Some cherry’s
Some raspberries
Yeast
Carbon clean
lid on
25 degrees immersion heater.
12 hours ago
Going to give gentle stir...
Got to make some thing right!!
Hi and welcome - ok so let's see if we can unravel some of that :)

Need a photo - http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 8#p7496630

If you can't do that - give us a link.

2nd - Abv and sugar - I just noticed that 7 kg sugar in a 25 litre wash) gives 14% abv from an earlier post. For you and me (I work in Kgs too) - that means we can carry that around in our heads - 1 Kg in 25 litres = 2% ! :thumbup: - I work on a rule of thumb of 5 kg/25 litres - but if I want it quick, I'll drop to 4 kg.

The less sugar in the wash, the sooner it is fermented out, but this varies with the yeast and the temperature. - 7 kg will likely take a lot longer than 4 kgs.

The answers to most things in this hobby are "It depends".........

And a lot of the advice you will be given is contradictory, although it is the best advice the contributors can give - because it is what works for them !

Other things you can come back to later are; "Acid" - (I always add a teaspoon of citric or a squeezed lemon to 25 litre wash - others disagree vehemently. ), "Stressing yeast adds off - flavours" versus " Make a yeast bomb", "how many times to distill a wash", "whether sugar has any place at all in a flavoured wash/mash" etc etc ....

And what are you doing calling it "Devil's water" ? - This is "The water of life..." :lol:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Good advice Pikey.

So in English there is a difference between devil's water and devils water? The first meaning water of a devil and the second meaning some devils are watering/pissing?

In the meantime the TS has some problems: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=69311
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:Good advice Pikey.

So in English there is a difference between devil's water and devils water? The first meaning water of a devil and the second meaning some devils are watering/pissing?

In the meantime the TS has some problems: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=69311
The apostrophe in my respose was to signify "ownership" - as you recognise. That is going out of fashion as "education " "improves" - I assume that the OP meant the "ownership" to be implied. :)

30 years ago I drafted a letter and when I read the "typed copy", there were no commas in it at all ! - when I asked the "typist" she said "Oh we don't use commas nowadays" - to which I responded - "just type it as II wrote it" ! -

Sometimes I'm glad I'm old :) - but no I don't think there is a real lesson in translation to be learned here mate ! :wink:

PS - if some devils were producing water as you say;

a) - impossible according to my smal knowledge of religion, there is only supposed to be one :)

b) - to signify ownership by multiple "Devils" the apostrophe should be incorporated after the "s" (in my version of "Old English" anyhow) :lol:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Kareltje wrote:Good advice Pikey.

Kareltje, understand one thing. Those of us who speak English, especially us Americans, are inherently arrogant which includes being a little lazy when saying of writing our "native tongue"
1.jpg
My Apologies.
:wtf:
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I immediately understood it to be devil's water with an apostrophe. So often we 'Mericans neglect the rules for apostrophes, and incorrectly add them to plurals and neglect them in possessives.
I like "devil's water" a lot in describing our product. Has a prohibition and temperance feel to it.
Added that to my signature!

(666eyes, if you want to claim it since it belongs to you I'll remove it. Let me know.)
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

fizzix wrote:I immediately understood it to be devil's water with an apostrophe. So often we 'Mericans neglect the rules for apostrophes, and incorrectly add them to plurals and neglect them in possessives.
I like "devil's water" a lot in describing our product. Has a prohibition and temperance feel to it.

(666eyes, if you want to claim it since it belongs to you I'll remove it. Let me know.)
Fizzix no worries..
Thanks again guys for all your help on the meaning and punctuation of devils/devil’s...

Cheers!!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

666eyes wrote:
fizzix wrote:I immediately understood it to be devil's water with an apostrophe. So often we 'Mericans neglect the rules for apostrophes, and incorrectly add them to plurals and neglect them in possessives.

Cheers!!
Gentlemen you piqued my interest and I found these images and had to play with Labelizer & Gimp.
Hope you like.
Devils Water.jpg
Devils Water.jpg (7.71 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Devils Water.png
Devils Water 2.png
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

TDick wrote:tand one thing. Those of us who speak English, especially us Americans, are inherently arrogant which includes being a little lazy when saying of writing our "native tongue"
1.jpg
My Apologies.
Oh, I noticed. :mrgreen:

But do not apologize for the mistakes of other people.
We have the same problem in my language and in any other language, I guess.
In old times only educated people could write, nowadays anybody who sees a keyboard can write a message.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

There was another thought: devils as plural and water as verb could turn the meaning to: I want to make devils pee.
Would this extinguish the fire in hell?
I doubt it.
Nice labels!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

666eyes wrote:

Fizzix no worries..
Thanks again guys for all your help on the meaning and punctuation of devils/devil’s...

Cheers!!
Now again I have to add: "A mans got to brew what a mans got to brew"
When I am triggered I know hardly any limits. :oops:
This sentence is a nice playing with the sentence: "A man has got to do what a man has got to do." I like it!
So the spelling mans should be man's: the apostrophe plus s being short for has. "A man has" becomes "A man's"
666eyes
Novice

Post by 666eyes »

TDick the labels are great thanks and well done!!