Morning all!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hogwasher
Novice

Morning all!

Post by Hogwasher »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Just to introduce myself: I have a couple of years experience brewing beer in 24 litre batches (5+ galls for those in USA) and have just been given a smallish Chinese potstill. A present from wife and son who obviously are trying either to keep me longer in the garage, or are hoping I will drink or poison myself into an early grave. Either way, I'm exited to learn from your combined wisdom and ask loads of dumb questions. Hope you can guide me in my first attempts to make something along the lines of a rum either dark or spiced. I'll post more specific questions in the relevant board. Meanwhile, please be gentle as I'm just a newbie. Regards
Hogwasher
Bushman
Admin

Re: Morning all!

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to the forum, small stills are hard to make cuts but can be done. One of our members Bigbob makes a good drop and has a small still. Pictures of your set-up would be great!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Naw I'm afraid you have to go through a hazing period :shock: ... :lol:
You must've given SOME signal that they were kind enough to get you a still. Home Distiller is the correct next step.
Seriously, do prepare for a little hazing because Chinese stills here are like rice burner bikes to Harley riders.
But WELCOME to you. We'll help you out.
Last edited by fizzix on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Bushman wrote: Pictures of your set-up would be great!
+1 Some of these "Chinese Stills" can be a mess and we don't want to see you getting into trouble from the get-go. Post a few pics so we can get a look at it for you. Welcome to a fine place for information. :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, pic link is below. have fun with it and lots f guys here willing to help
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Hogwasher
Novice

Post by Hogwasher »

Thanks to Dr Fizzix for the weather warning. Serious Hazing! I can see you're all keen to have a look and laugh at my potstill, so I'll pass on that right now. So, I gave it a gentle run with 4litres of old fruit wines (Mixed origins by included a couple of bottles marked Banana) just to see how it performed. Well, it certainly does. Building up the temperatures really gently and collecting fractions (30-50 ml), I could really smell the changes in character of the distillate, starting with distinct paintstripper aroma through to an almost acceptable rummy smell (bananas I guess). So, Rum here I come.
Loads of questions to put on the boards. Where should I ask about water treatments for primary fermentation - or don't we bother with that? And can I use Tate and Lyles black treacle instead of Blackstrap molasses? Show me to the boards boys.....