Running the still

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

digger2255
Novice

Running the still

Post by digger2255 »

Hello Lady's and Gent's my name is Digger2255 im a retiree and thought i'd run some whiskie i purchesd a 20 gal Pot Still put some ground corn in a barrel with some malted barley tossed in some yeast smelled like a low grade wine and run it.You guys have some real talent to figure this stuff out i give ya'll credit the safest thing i figured was to crank it up and stripe it i got a few Gal of the worst smelling,worst tasting suff it smelled and tasted like Tequila which i hate,should i pore it all back in and run it again,run the temp up till it runs then cut it back for my spirit run? just at a loss on what to do next there is so much information on this site my small brain can't sort it out my ony wish is that i can be talented as every one on this site i bring my simple sponge here to ask for help and someday i can be a pro like ya'll its testing at 100 proof of yuk can any guide me please many Thanks..
Tater
Admin

Re: Running the still

Post by Tater »

welcome to hd .Read rules Read over site and post any questions in proper forums.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Whoa my friend! I feel like I'm running a race when I read your post!
First -Welcome to Home Distiller.
Second -All the answers are here and you CAN distill some good liquor. And it won't taste like tequila.

Read Cranky's Spoon Feeding to get started. It will clear up a lot of questions. Now, come on in and have a good time!
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome, no need to tell you what's already been said. pot a pic of your rig below. and for what it's worth i remember my first run many years ago. practice does indeed help and i wish i had this forum when i started.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

digger2255 wrote: there is so much information on this site my small brain can't sort it out
Welcome to HD, digger. The easiest/fastest way to build successes (and confidence) is to closely follow the recipes in the Tried and True section. Go slow, start with the sugar washes and by doing so you will not only answer your own questions, you will end up with a drinkable product.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Suggestion: a good starter 1st recipe is Uncle Jesse's Simple Sourmash....it gets better each time you add corn and backset to the next gen and the 1st gen is quite palatable buy itself. Welcome to the journey.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
wishbone77
Novice

Post by wishbone77 »

As Yoda reminds us, “The greatest teacher, failure is.”
I spent at least 4-5 months reading, mostly about how to distill safely, before I ran my first batch. I would recommend being very confident in how to do this safely, then learn from your mistakes and apply those lessons forward. It’s a lifelong hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My daddy he made whiskey, my granddaddy he did too
We ain't paid no whiskey tax since 1792
You'll just lay there by the juniper while the moon is bright
Watch them just a-filling in the pale moonlight.
- Bob Dylan, "Copper Kettle"
Old Town
Swill Maker

Post by Old Town »

Welcom..
Just a quick word of advice if you didn't do a sacrificial run? Dump that stuff out that you made it will make you sick as hell.