one More Newbie from GA

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

one More Newbie from GA

Post by GCB3 »

Greetings folks. I am one of the newer members to this wonderful site. I have been lurking here as a guest for about two years while a friend and I have been trying to learn our way through this complex hobby. We have been using his Copper Moonshine Stills (gotta love the Colonel), 4 gal, CM (coolant management), reflux still. He's been working on corn mash and I've been trying to make rum. We've had some successes and some real failures. Can you say "Cloudy likker"??? We live two states apart and he owns the equipment, so, its hard for me to get any consistant practice. I've ordered a Brewhaus, CM, reflux still and plan to start my own hobby adventure.

I graduated with a CheE degree and worked for Hercules Chemical Co. out of school for about 5 years doing process engineering on a still house for pine oil separation from fat lighter, pine stump extracts. But then fate took me out of that industry and I just retired after 35 yrs in the steel fabricating business (no chemistry and no distillation). At my "advanced" age, I may retain 1 % of what I learned in school and early employment, if I'm lucky. But, this hobby has really gotten my interest and I still have enough basic knowledge to understand some of the concepts.

My goal is to learn to make really high quality, aged rum. I'd love to be able to replicate the likes of Ron Zacapa 23, Ron Zacapa XO, or any of the Fleur de Cana 12, 18, or 25 yr old) sipping rums. So far, my product has been drinkable but a little sharp and edgy.

The depth of knowledge on these threads is incredible. There is no telling how many hours (and how many times) I've read through these pages. Don't know if I quality for "eyes bleeding" yet, but, it sure does feel like it. I plan to post my first question in the next day or two and then prepare for any "blow back". Hope to not get the "Do your research!" response, but, will probably deserve it if I do. I'm excited about joining this group and hope someday I can contribute something useful.
TDick
Distiller

Re: one More Newbie from GA

Post by TDick »

GCB3 wrote:Greetings folks. I am one of the newer members to this wonderful site. I have been lurking here as a guest for about two years while a friend and I have been trying to learn our way through this complex hobby.

My goal is to learn to make really high quality, aged rum. I'd love to be able to replicate the likes of Ron Zacapa 23, Ron Zacapa XO, or any of the Fleur de Cana 12, 18, or 25 yr old) sipping rums. So far, my product has been drinkable but a little sharp and edgy.

The depth of knowledge on these threads is incredible. There is no telling how many hours (and how many times) I've read through these pages. Don't know if I quality for "eyes bleeding" yet, but, it sure does feel like it.
Welcome fellow N :mrgreen: :mrgreen: b!
First thing; don't know if you're a Dawg or not, but just in case:
Bama CFP.jpg
Roll Tide!
One HELLUVA game wasn't it!
NOW!
Since you said you've been reading I ASSuME you've gone through the Parent Site and Cranky's spoonfeed (link in my signature)
Next I suggest you go through Tried & True Recipes looking at all the rum recipes. Find the one you like best read the WHOLE DAMNED THING.
If all your questions aren't answered, you will have much more intelligent questions to ask. And you will be getting answers from members who have successfully made the product you are interested.
Best of luck and WELCOME!
:wtf: :wtf:
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hello and welcome GCB3! I have a Brewhaus model PSII (CM) still and couldn't be happier.
Better cuts and perhaps backing off the heat may solve your cloudiness issue.
You want a good rum? Crow's Rum uses raw cane sugar (turbinado) and molasses. Rich rummy flavor beyond belief.
You can do this!
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks TDick.
Regarding your first priority, how do you say..... It's complicated! :D We are primarily an ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) family:
Me - Cow College in Raleigh, NC (NC State)
Wife - GA Tech
Oldest Daughter - Wake Forest
Son - UNC
Youngest Daughter - UGA
Son-in-Law - UNC
Daughter-in-Law - Clemson

So, we're basically a basketball family with UGA and Clemson football thrown in. My youngest daughter and daughter-in-law give me license to pull for UGA and Clemson. State grads don't often get to pull for a winner, so, it's kind of nice being able to do so in football season! And you're right, both semi finals and the final were all great games (except for my Clemson fan). The SEC put on a heck of a show and Saben is one hell of a coach. Congrats to you guys!!!

Back to subject at hand, I have read those threads and now have some clues as to why my last wash "stuck" and ended up going down the drain. I will try my best to ask meaningful questions, but, can't guarantee it.

Take care and thanks for the warm welcome.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Hey, fizzix.
Thanks for the welcome. I checked out Crow's Rum and think I'll give it a go. it looks pretty easy and the reports are good. Good rum is my goal.

Glad to hear you like your PSII. I'm about two weeks out from delivery. One question. It seems to me that if I remove the packing, turn off the water to the column head, and push it, it should function well for stripping. Have you tried this?

Take care.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome to he craft
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

GCB3 wrote:Thanks TDick.
Regarding your first priority, how do you say..... It's complicated! :D We are primarily an ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) family:
Wife - GA Tech
Oldest Daughter - Wake Forest
Son - UNC
Youngest Daughter - UGA
Son-in-Law - UNC
Daughter-in-Law - Clemson
I understand. I had to send 1 son to auburn for a year. Had too much fun, brought him closer to home.
Also, I am a bigger Bama Bball fan than football. My Dad started taking me to games when I was 6.
The 5 years I was in college 8) we lost a total of 3 home games. Naturally we took our flasks to the game. Hey it IS Alabama!
Tell your son I was in attendance at the 2 OT win over the tarheels.
Last thing I do want to apologize for making Mark Gottfried available for your Wolfpack. Not sorry we fired him but wish he had done a better job for you.
:wtf: :wtf:
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Too funny and terrible thread creep! BUT, I must say that first of all, I can't even talk to my son about UNC basketball. According to most UNC fans (and him), they've never lost a game, they've just had refs or cheating opponents steal them! :roll: (they really need to spend a few years in my shoes!!) 8) 8)

I thought Mark was a first class guy. He just wasn't up to the challenge of raising a mid level team to the expectations of the typical NC State fan. They (we) all need to learn to enjoy good rum and not live and die on our team's records!

Glad to make your acquaintance and look forward to our time together here.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks for the welcome, nuntius01. I'm really excited about this new step and can't believe what a great group of folks are on this site. I just hope I can contribute something to this group when I learn more.
Take care.
Shinerfortyniner
Novice

Post by Shinerfortyniner »

GCB3 wrote:
Glad to hear you like your PSII. I'm about two weeks out from delivery. One question. It seems to me that if I remove the packing, turn off the water to the column head, and push it, it should function well for stripping. Have you tried this?

Take care.
I've been running my CM in pot still more recently. It works pretty well for me. You should try it and see what you think.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Thanks, ShinerFortyNiner. I bought it thinking it would be good for neutral spirits and maybe marginal for more flavorful products. I’m really partial to sippin’ rum.
Take care.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Welcome. Very nice introduction with good detail. I wish more were similiar to yours. You know the Flatwoods meet the Low Country dont ya? I see the fat pile several times a week at Hercules/ Pinova. If you remained in the area you are not that far away from the flatwoods. If i can help i can be reached. Be patient, it will pay off ahead of hurridness.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Hey Flatwoods. Wasn’t sure many folks would know what a fat lighter stump was. We’d get somewhere around 134 products out of a single stump. It was a great place for newly minted engineer to get some school of hard knocks education! Learned a lot about distillation in those years. Just wish I wasn’t so old that I can’t remember any of it! :D

Thanks for the welcome. I’m only about 100 miles from you. Hope we meet sometime.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Thanks for the welcome. I’m only about 100 miles from you. Hope we meet sometime.
I have met several and talk to many. Pm me sometime if you like.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Will do.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

TDick wrote:
GCB3 wrote:Thanks TDick.
Son - UNC
Son-in-Law - UNC
I know it's strange that an Alabama fan knows anything about that round ball.
But, HOW ABOUT THAT 'PACK!
Somebody at your house gotta be like :D

After I watched my Crimson Tide spank Oklahoma's fanny
made Lon Kruger holler "Uncle", I saw highlights of Pack - heels game.
Boy, Jay Williams & Seth Greenburg were really dogging the UNC !
You might mention that to your Son & Son In Law when you talk to then.
Oh in case they missed it:
The Pack.JPG
:ebiggrin:
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Oh, believe me, I did! Sent them glowing texts the second time expired. It’s been a week now and their responses: CRICKETS!